Safe to update to 3.0.1?
Apologies if this has been covered ad-nausea, but after searching I can't see any definite results.

Is it now safe to update my Apple TV to AppleTV 3.0.1, and retain XBMC? I'm on a Vista machine, and have a working patchstick.

Can I simply update, reboot and reload the patchstick and then download the new Launcher and XBMC?

Or too soon?

I have automatic updates off, and am happy enough at present, but the Apple update seems to fix some graphical problems with iTunes layout, which would be nice.

Thanks for any help.
I have seen this post hanging around for a couple days, so I will take a shot. Hopefully you will find it helpful, if you have not already taken the plunge.

First, I am an old school believer in the addage "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It!" Especially if you are dealing with software. So if you are happy with what you have, stay happy.

I personally got hooked on the new interface over Frontrow and I use the Photo/Music aspects of the Apple software. That coupled with the notion that I do not mind (or intimidated by) spending a bit of time trying it, then if necessary going back to my original set up.

With that said I am very happy with the upgrade. Everything I have used in the past seems to work. Plugins, scripts like Navi-X, my movie and television collection, etc. (Of course I am not using the stuff we know does not work like Couch Surfer, the webkit, Software Menu, etc)

I will say that I started from scratch by restoring the ATV to its original order of things (1.0 in my case), then:
Upgrading the ATV OS to 3.01
Patchstick (http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/) to restore interface into the ATV from my iMac.
Installing NitoTV Take 3, with Smart Install to restore afp, smb, kext, and various other nitotv stuff I use.
Turn OFF the Apple TV update
Following the XBMC install procedures similar to http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showpost.php?p...stcount=10
Restore the movies that I had in the Media partition, since the restore wipes everything out.
Re-load all of the XBMC libraries.

All in all, pretty painless process. Of course, this is all new to the developer folks like nito, davilla, jmarshall, etc so there are no guarantees and the community is just starting to mess with it. By definition, its all a risk and you should be prepared to do it all again or go back to your original config that works. Heck, even Apple could come out with a 3.02 that fixes some terrible bug they uncover.....and if you are game, you do it all again.

Hope this helps.
AppleTV 3.0.2, iMac 10.6.2, Launcher 3.2.4, (AppleTV Installed with Launcher), SVN: XBMC 9.11 (R26018).
Thanks, been putting it off. Sounds painless enough so, tonights the night

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Safe to update to 3.0.1?0