Best Budget Hardware for DVD, WiFi, no HD
Question 
I'm looking to buy a machine for XBMC and I want to spend as little money as possible. Here are my priorities:
  • CHEAP - I would like to spend less than $200, preferable much less.
  • DVD - I want to play DVD movies. No need for writing.
  • AVI - I want to play standard definition AVIs (DivX, Xvid, etc)
  • Composite Video - My TV's old, so all I have is composite. An adapter is fine, but that must factor into the cost.
  • WiFi - I want to easily connect to my WiFi network. 802.11n would be nice, but g is fine.
The following would be nice, but are not required:
  • Fast Boot - I don't want to wait and wait...
  • Small - Maybe the size of an Acer Revo.
  • Cooling / Power - I don't want it to overheat, and low power would be nice.
  • YouTube / Hulu - would be nice, but not necessary
The following are things I don't need:
  • HD, Digital audio, hdmi, etc. - I have a 12 year old TV
  • Fancy skins - simple is better
  • Ripping capabilities - I already have a PC
  • New - buying used is fine

Here are my thoughts, but none seem ideal:
  • Used Mac Mini - You can get a G4 mac mini for like $200 - will this meet my requirements?
  • AppleTV - seems great, but no DVD player
  • ION-based Nettops - ones with DVD players are at least $300
Any ideas?
Sounds like the perfect and cheap machine for you would be an XBOX you find on craigslist for $50 with a network bridge.
darkscout Wrote:Sounds like the perfect and cheap machine for you would be an XBOX you find on craigslist for $50 with a network bridge.

Yeah, agree. Go for a crystal-cased xbox1, it is less noisy than the black ones. Just replace the only fan (case fan) with low noise-level fan. Cost you less than 15$. I have this: http://geizhals.at/a375816.html.

XBCM on xbox (as well) have nice features on fan speed and temperature control.

About harddisk: you can switch off spinning quite nicely after certain idle time.

Noise level: have not measured it, but barely hear-able from 2 meters.
Lot of modding stuff at www.xbox-scene.com. Good luck!
Xbox and wifi bridge
Thanks for the replies. I thought about an Xbox, but with the wifi card it'll probably be over $100, and I'll still have to do some modding to make it work. Plus, it is much larger than current nettop systems. If I'm spending that much, is there anything better I can get?
Will a G4 Mac Mini work for SD?
My last Xbox was £3 off ebay..... you wont get a better solution.... modding it by following one of the guides is almost as simple as booting a game disk...

With an HD component cable (£8) and running 720p the Xbox will blow you away with its functionality and smoothness...

For wireless the original Xbox G adapter is only $24....

http://cgi.ebay.com/MICROSOFT-Xbox-Wirel...5636f9f711

Been down this road and the Xbox bang for buck isnt compairable.... its still my weapon of choice in the lounge! Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Budget Hardware for DVD, WiFi, no HD0