Snow Leopard and AFP
Hello
I have followed the "blonde" instructions below and XMBC run perfectly on my ATV 3.01.
Thousand thanks for our teachers here ....

I'have a MB Pro with Snow Leopard and I'm not able to access my ATV with AFP or SMB.

Can you tell me if this is possible actually ?

And il this possible can some one give me some instructions for noobs ?

Thank you for your answers.

JP
try nito and use the instructions on the akward site

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/NitoTV_Take_2

Smart Installer

As of version 0.4.0 you may need the "recovery.dmg" file in the Documents folder when running the Smart Installer (in addition to the 10.4.9 Intel update mentioned) for NitoTV Smart Installer to properly enable AFP and other services. More to come on this.... --BonesSK 02:54, 9 April 2008 (CEST)
If you have an AppleTV that was 1.0 out of the box you can generate this image on your own to the proper location by doing the following
Code:
sudo mount -uw /
sudo touch /.readwrite
cd ~/Documents
sudo dd if=/dev/disk0s2 of=recovery.dmg bs=1m

It will work if you follow the precise instructions.

1 downgrade to apple tv 1.0
2 install ssh with patchstick
3 run nito installer
4 run smart installer, make sure you have the recover.dmg
5 update to 3.0 or 3.01

I run SN and it has worked for me. I have AFP server running and can connect my ATV using the client to auto mount my TC on the ATV
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
Thank for your answer.

My ATV wasn't 1.0 out of the box.

So I don't know if it's possible to downgrade and haw to do this.

And I forgot to tell that, when I was with Leopard, AFP was working fine, without downgrading.

Since Snow Leopard, no way for me to have AFP

JP
make sure then that you get the recovery.dmg file from somewhere.(hint torrent)

My file is 419,4 MB
419.405.824 bytes
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
idioteque Wrote:try nito and use the instructions on the akward site

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/NitoTV_Take_2

Smart Installer

As of version 0.4.0 you may need the "recovery.dmg" file in the Documents folder when running the Smart Installer (in addition to the 10.4.9 Intel update mentioned) for NitoTV Smart Installer to properly enable AFP and other services. More to come on this.... --BonesSK 02:54, 9 April 2008 (CEST)
If you have an AppleTV that was 1.0 out of the box you can generate this image on your own to the proper location by doing the following
Code:
sudo mount -uw /
sudo touch /.readwrite
cd ~/Documents
sudo dd if=/dev/disk0s2 of=recovery.dmg bs=1m

It will work if you follow the precise instructions.

1 downgrade to apple tv 1.0
2 install ssh with patchstick
3 run nito installer
4 run smart installer, make sure you have the recover.dmg
5 update to 3.0 or 3.01

I run SN and it has worked for me. I have AFP server running and can connect my ATV using the client to auto mount my TC on the ATV

Ummm, couple of questions..

1) You're recommending Nito's Take Two installer for ATV 1.0 instead of Nito's Take One installer?

2) And when you update to 3.0/3.01, doesn't that wipe out the Nito and mounting stuff?

3) I had tried to use Nito's Take Three installer with ATV 3.01 but have had no success with XBMC seeing any of my mounts (both AFP and SMB). Nito can see and mount them (and I have auto-mounting on) but when I go into XBMC, I cannot see them. Is this why you didn't go the Take Three route?

I really think Apple's 10.6+ SMB is hosed right now (see a lot of chatter up on the Apple Discussions) and I get a timeout error with XBMC, using the add manually method (doesn't show up in the list like it used to). If I do go the Nito/AFP route, how did you get to your AFP mount in XBMC? In the olden days I used to see it listed in the Browse Sources list but not anymore. I'm also a little leery of using nitoTV with the stories of memory leaks and slowdowns.

Re-installing everything now but before this was on ATV 3.01/XBMC 9.11a1.
If you see the mounts and automount in Nito you are 90% done.

The only thing you need to do next is:

I think nito mounts in /Volume/Share.

create a symlink to the home folder of frontrow.

ln -s /Volume/Share /Users/frontrow

Now in XBMC you should see the mounted symlink in the homedir of the user frontrow

goodluck
In my case, nito default mounts in /Volumes or more specific /mnt/Scratch/Volumes. Nito then sym links the volume to /Users/frontrow/Movies (That is how you are able to see it in Nito's Files).....unless you have it on nitos Volume Blacklist. So if Nito mounted properly, you should find your mounts in the /Users/frontrow/Movies folder in XBMC.
AppleTV 3.0.2, iMac 10.6.2, Launcher 3.2.4, (AppleTV Installed with Launcher), SVN: XBMC 9.11 (R26018).
anyone ever attempt trying afpfs-ng on the appletv ?
nah cause the build-in afp works fine with a bit of work.

any chance a AFP client will be added to XBMC, the sameway SMB is handled ?
idioteque Wrote:nah cause the build-in afp works fine with a bit of work.

any chance a AFP client will be added to XBMC, the sameway SMB is handled ?

I think you might be missing the point, built-in afp on the AppleTV requires AppleTV OS 1.0 recovery bits which cannot be distributed. If we can get this working, then not only will this solve a distro issue with the AppleTV, it will also enabled afp under at least Linux and possible Windows platforms.
Have not tried afpfs-ng. I had started off with the nito stuff from the beginning, before I got turned on to you folks. So, I was blessed with a 1.0 base line for the nito stuff to extract from. No doubt, if there was a better way, it would solve a bunch of issues for folks without the 1.0 image.
AppleTV 3.0.2, iMac 10.6.2, Launcher 3.2.4, (AppleTV Installed with Launcher), SVN: XBMC 9.11 (R26018).
Hello
I'have a 2,2 OTB upgraded to the last 3.0.1
Snow Leopard

And now AFP working fine without downgrading

With the last Nito and reading this post and also this :

http://www.hackint0sh.org/f98/93037.htm

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Snow Leopard and AFP0