• 43(current)
[ANN] OpenELEC.tv - very small and fast booting Embedded Linux Distribution with XBMC
therionate Wrote:Hi Carvergio,

as already posted in the other topic, you can leave the "sudo" from your commands, because through SSH on Openelec you're already logged in as root.

Your commands would be like:

Code:
nano /etc/rc.local

Paste the following:

Ctrl+X (save your file when asked)

then:

Code:
nano /etc/pm/config.d/00_unload_jme

Paste the following:

then:

Code:
nano /etc/pm/sleep.d/00_load_jme

Paste the following:

As I do not know if it will work, I only used your input to make it more understandable. If it will work, we would like to here it, so we can use this info to help others with the exact same problem.

this doesn't work, says the file system is read only
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
Hi,

After changing from Windows to ubuntu, many things didnt work (SMB Share, Digital audio over HDMI)
i want to try openelec.

when i boot the openelec i get to setup screen, quick install and i get msg that it cant find location to install.
i have 2 drives in RAID.

anyone can advice ?
I'd like to try openelec but how do i upgrade xbmc to RC2, i don't want to be stuck with beta4. Thanks.
Arctic MC001 + Openelec
Hardware RAID or Software RAID?
If its software raid you are trying to get working then its unsupported (and i doubt will be added).

If its hardware raid using motherboard raid options, then this will unlikely work too as most fake raid support and normally rely on software modules to be loaded too.

If its a true raid card, then it should work providing its a real hardware card.
piotr Wrote:I'd like to try openelec but how do i upgrade xbmc to RC2, i don't want to be stuck with beta4. Thanks.

Hi Piotr, I think you're mixing up to separate things that are totally different. Openelec cannot be updated with the normal XBMC builds. It's a build on it's own that needs less configuration and is a bit smaller to install. There will be updates for Openelec, but they are released on their own and can be configurated automaticly. But you're more than welcome to try it!
Thanks all.

Apparently its "Motherboard" raid but need drivers or something.
Thanks!
piotr Wrote:I'd like to try openelec but how do i upgrade xbmc to RC2, i don't want to be stuck with beta4. Thanks.

It's easy enough to build your own though, I've been doing every few days of the 64bit ION builds. works great.

Just drop new kernel and system files in an update folder, reboot. Thats it!
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
Evanrich Wrote:It's easy enough to build your own though, I've been doing every few days of the 64bit ION builds. works great.

Just drop new kernel and system files in an update folder, reboot. Thats it!

hi Evanrich, so what exactly are the steps to take to compile from git? Would be great if you could write it down saves waiting on a snapshot

many thanx
terminalx Wrote:hi Evanrich, so what exactly are the steps to take to compile from git? Would be great if you could write it down saves waiting on a snapshot

many thanx

to compile from git, I did the following:

1.) create a new ubuntu 10.10 x64 VM on my server
2.) install git (sudo apt-get install git)
3.) create a folder somewhere ( i did it in my /home directory) and type: "git clone https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv.git" without the "'s

4.) once the repo is downloaded, follow the guide here for commands to use you want the stuff under "options" as an example, for my 64 bit ion builds, I type "PROJECT=ION ARCH=x86_64 make"

5.) you may get prompted that you need some dependencies before it can start, I did. You'll have to chase them down on apt-get, only took me about 20 minutes to get all the required stuff.

6.) sit back and wait. on my 4 vCPU, 4GB ram VM that I'm using to build, it took about 6 hours the first build, as it had to go out and download all the source packages needed. further builds take less time, especially if you leave the .ccache folder alone. there is alot of helpful stuff in the link in step 4.

7.) when it's done compiling, you should have a "target" folder, this is where your kernel and system files go. If you append "release" to the end of the make statement, it will create a ready to go installation that you could put on a USB key and install from, but I always got errors, so I just to the "make" command without "release" and use those files as updates.

I used the installer from the website, and now just rename my target files to KERNEL and SYSTEM, pop them in the .update folder, reboot, and it applies the new build fairly quickly.

as an alternate, I've started a tiny build site here that I'll post builds in when I make them, if you just want to grab my builds: http://evanrich.homeip.net/openelec/

I only have the x64 ION builds in there now, but I've set up a script to run the build process automatically whenever there are commits, so I'll be generating all versions soon.
Hi Evanrich

wow....I am used to build xbmc from svn under ubuntu but this.... I think I will pass just yet on compiling openelec for now and take the easy route and use your builds or pick up the offical snapshots.

many thanks for your detailed explanations nevertheless, I will find the courage in the new year Smile and get it done with your notes.

cheers
terminalx Wrote:Hi Evanrich

wow....I am used to build xbmc from svn under ubuntu but this.... I think I will pass just yet on compiling openelec for now and take the easy route and use your builds or pick up the offical snapshots.

many thanks for your detailed explanations nevertheless, I will find the courage in the new year Smile and get it done with your notes.

cheers

Not a problem, its not that hard to do. I'm a windows guy and with a little help in the openelec forums i was able to get started.

IF you want to use my builds, you'll need to first go grab one of the "snapshots" from the openelec site, and install from that. After that you can either use the released snapshots, or just take my kernel and system files and put them in your .update folder to have it apply the updates.

I'm currently running a full build on all platforms, so either someitme tonight or early tomorrow I'll have more files up.
Evanrich Wrote:Not a problem, its not that hard to do. I'm a windows guy and with a little help in the openelec forums i was able to get started.

IF you want to use my builds, you'll need to first go grab one of the "snapshots" from the openelec site, and install from that. After that you can either use the released snapshots, or just take my kernel and system files and put them in your .update folder to have it apply the updates.

I'm currently running a full build on all platforms, so either someitme tonight or early tomorrow I'll have more files up.

I have the latest snapshot running on a sd card. Sorry for the noob question but how do I create the .update folder to put your kernel and system files in. I tried creating the folder in the xbmc file manager but it won't let me put the period (.)in. Also on my windows machine on my network places I can see several openelec folders such as music, pictures, screenshots, etc. There is an update folder there. I copied your files over there and rebooted openelec to see if that would work. It didn't. I am a noob when it comes to linux commands but I am able to log in with putty, just don't know where to go from there. Can you help me with this? Thanks, Jim
EarnheadJ Wrote:Sorry for the noob question but how do I create the .update folder to put your kernel and system files in. I tried creating the folder in the xbmc file manager but it won't let me put the period (.)in.

By default, on Linux systems, any files or folders starting with a period (".") are hidden. You'll probably find that the folder is already there, you are just unable to see it.

If you've got a console open (via putty/ssh), typing "ls -a" will show hidden folders - personally I prefer to use "ls -la" for a "long list (-l)" showing "all files (-a)".

If the ".update" folder is shown up, then just copy the files over to that directory and try again.

As for doing it in XBMC, I'm sure there is an option somewhere that says "Show hidden files/folders" or similar..
gr8r-x Wrote:By default, on Linux systems, any files or folders starting with a period (".") are hidden. You'll probably find that the folder is already there, you are just unable to see it.

If you've got a console open (via putty/ssh), typing "ls -a" will show hidden folders - personally I prefer to use "ls -la" for a "long list (-l)" showing "all files (-a)".

If the ".update" folder is shown up, then just copy the files over to that directory and try again.

As for doing it in XBMC, I'm sure there is an option somewhere that says "Show hidden files/folders" or similar..

Thanks, using that command you are right it shows that folder but how do I change to that dir. I guess because it is hidden I can't just use cd command? And once I get to there how will I copy the files that reside on my windows computer to that folder. Sorry again for the noob questions.

Edit: You were right there was a setting in xbmc to show hidden files and folders. Never noticed that, anyway it looks like the sytem and kernal files were there from when I copied them over from my network places. I went ahead and overwrote them just to be sure, rebooted and nothing changed so I am doing something else wrong. But thanks for your help. Jim
  • 43(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ANN] OpenELEC.tv - very small and fast booting Embedded Linux Distribution with XBMC8