media library question
i have a large collection of music CDs and music/concert DVDs (3000+ discs).
i started ripping my collection but im not really happy with the result. here's how i do ripping:

1) rip audio CD with EAC to WAV/CUE
2) decode HDCD encoded WAV with hdcd.exe to 24bit WAV
3) convert WAV to FLAC with replaygain

so i have 3 files for each disc: FLAC, CUE, JPG/PNG (artwork)

after i found out how to display multi-disc sets as one album, audio CD rips are ok now. i just have some naming issues, cause i have several albums in different versions (limited editions, remasters, import CDs). for those albums i added this info to the album name, but it would be nice to have a way to store info like "edition" or "release country".

some audio CDs also contain multimedia tracks. at the moment i just copy these files and create a (musicvideo) NFO file for each. so i have 3 files for each multimedia file: AVI/MPG/... (multimedia file), NFO, JPG/PNG (artwork)

this also works so far, but if there's more than one multimedia file on a CD or CD set, there are multiple albums displayed (with the same name) one for each file.

DVD ripping is a totally different thing. at the moment i rip DVDs to ISO and create a (movie) NFO file for the DVD. so i also have 3 files for each DVD: ISO, NFO, JPG/PNG (artwork)

i have no problems viewing these DVDs but there are some disadvantages:

- multi-disc DVD sets are displayed as multiple DVDs
- there's no way to display the DVD tracks (or chapters)

is there a way to rip a DVD (including subtitles, different audio streams, viewing angles) without video re-encoding and have the contents show up as individual tracks/chapters like a FLAC/CUE combo ? menus are not necessarily needed but it would be nice if there'd be a way to chose whether to access the contents directly via XBMC or displaying the DVD menu instead.

maybe MKV is the solution but i found no tutorial how to rip a DVD the way i want it.

any help would be appreciated
Kodi 18.7 on Windows 10 (2x)/FireTV Stick (5x)/Android (2x) | MariaDB 5 on Synology Diskstation DS115/DS216+II
1. I'd recommend ripping CDs to separate tracks. There is no advantage in ripping to a single WAV file, other than making things cumbersome. Set the part of set tag (DISK_NUMBER I think it is in FLAC?) and you'll get around the CD1 / CD2 problem.

2. As for DVDs, there's no current way of displaying the chapters as a filelisting or anything within XBMC. A patch for this would be welcome. Going the ISO route is probably just as good as any other method. I don't know of a method that rips individual chapters, though I'm sure there is probably some program that could do this for you.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

hi jonathan,

thank you for your reply.
CD ripping isn't really the problem (even with CUE/FLAC). i already added the disc_number tag to my FLACs and they display fine.
the main problem are the CD extra contents (multimedia files) and the DVDs displaying seperate albums for each file/disc. maybe there's a solution in the future...

my biggest wish would be to have ALL CONTENTS belonging to one "item" in a single library. let me give you an example:

the "item": a boxed set with 2 CDs (multimedia tracks on disc 2) and 2 DVDs

if i click on the "item" the display should be like the following:

CD1 - Artist - Track 1
CD1 - Artist - Track 2
CD2 - Artist - Track 1
CD2 - Artist - Track 2
CD2 - Artist - Multimedia Track 1
CD2 - Artist - Multimedia Track 2
DVD1 - Artist - Track/Chapter 1
DVD1 - Artist - Track/Chapter 2
DVD2 - Artist - Track/Chapter 1
DVD2 - Artist - Track/Chapter 2

but i think it will take some time (if at all) until XBMC can do this Sad

Stefan
Kodi 18.7 on Windows 10 (2x)/FireTV Stick (5x)/Android (2x) | MariaDB 5 on Synology Diskstation DS115/DS216+II

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
media library question0