Another newb to HTPC (is my build right?) What would you do?
Question 
Hi everyone,

First, Thank You for taking the time to look at my post. Blush

I am just learning about XBMC HTPC. I must say I am quite impressed.
I just bought my first HDTV (LG 47LH90) and Blu-Ray player (LG BD390).
I will be hooking up the TV and player in a couple days.
So here is my current set-up and what I want to accomplish with my HTPC:

I have my desktop PC running in my computer room. I want to install an external 5400rpm e-SATA HD to hold my movies that will stream to the HTPC. (will the 5400rpm be fast enough?)(trying to keep cost down.)

I want to buy (or build) a HTPC that can run 1080p connected to the TV with HDMI. I want it to be able to stream video from HULU.

I currently have a Harmony 880 pro remote to control it. I believe I need to buy a USB IR reciever (maybe from ebay).

I need to keep the cost down, and this will be kept next to the TV so it needs passive cooling. I plan on using some sort of wireless N dongle to get my desktop and the HT talking.

I saw the Acer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as..._-83103228 and think this one will work well. Maybe I need to get another stick of RAM for it?

Please let me know what you guys think. I would like to start ordering parts as soon as possible.

Also, since I am so new to this.. is it even possible to set up to stream in the manner I described?

Again, thank you
Should work fine - i have two of those, you don't need to upgrade the ram, but it can help. Will work great under linux and give you full 1080p decode.

I wouldn't recommend wifi, it will give you nothing but problems with hd content.
prae5 Wrote:I wouldn't recommend wifi, it will give you nothing but problems with hd content.

802.11n at 5GHz (no B/G compatibility) handles 1080p content fine.
Exclamation 
Quote:
I want it to be able to stream video from HULU.

I have a MSI Wind nettop with ubuntu that has the same single core atom chip as the acer revo ION based machine that is so deliciously priced at $199.

The ION architecture does not help with Hulu at this time, and the single core atom 230 is not suitable for hulu content by itself. Expect stuttering and poor performance for hulu and youtube. There is talk of accelerating flash through hardware 'soon' but it's not here yet and it's unknown exactly when it will arrive, how good the linux support will be, what content it will or will not accelerate, what hardware will be necessary, etc.

Windows performance for Hulu might be a bit better, but then you lose VDPAU decoding of HD video which is in linux. There are other developments in hardware acceleration in Windows with XBMC going on, but i'm not keeping abreast of all of those since I'm firmly in the linux camp.

It sounds like you need hardware that include VDPAU capability plus moderate CPU-only processing power for hulu etc (Atom is way below moderate processing power). A GeForce 9300 motherboard (like ion but without Atom attached) plus a Pentium E5200 wolfdale seems to be a popular choice around here for a DIY build. The complete system looks like it would come out to be about $400 from newegg, including 2gb ram, 1.5 TB full size hard disk, case with power supply, and a DVD RW (I have this setup in my newegg wishlist for dreaming purposes).

A dual core atom machine might be better at hulu etc, but they're almost as expensive as the much more capable DIY I just described.

Hope this helps!
Pfennig

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another newb to HTPC (is my build right?) What would you do?0