Camelot Alpha 2 MCE remote support
jhsrennie Wrote:I've added support for the Windows Media Center remote to the Camelot Alpha 2 release. You can get the modified version here:

http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/camelot-a2.zip

Note that the URL is case sensitive.
The zip includes installation instructions and details on the modification.

Strictly speaking this isn't the Alpha2 release as it's build 24570, but it's pretty close. Don't use this release for bug checking. Use the official Alpha2 build instead. This is just for checking your MCE remote still works.

JR

Hey JR thanks for your time with this config. I am trying to DL it but the link fails?
gigs Wrote:Hey JR thanks for your time with this config. I am trying to DL it but the link fails?

See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=62310

I've removed the Alpha2 build and replaced it with beta.

JR
Great work thanks again Smile
X7JAY7X Wrote:I am not running any software. I just plugged my receiver into the computer and it found the driver. It is winxp media center.

Do you know where the driver is? Maybe I have an old driver?

Hmm, the proper MS remote that I bought from eBay arrived this morning and ...

... it shows the same problem that you describe. Unlike all the clone remotes I've used it did not automatically install (on standard Windows not Media Center Edition) and I had to grab drivers from MS. Having managed to install the drivers (quite a struggle!) it doesn't send keystrokes for many of the keys.

This is all a bit pants really. The cheap clone remotes work perfectly and the considerably more expensive MS remote does not. Plus it's very hard to find any useful documentation for the remote on the MS web site.

I'll struggle on with the MS remote for a bit, though my patience with it is likely to be strictly limited. If I get anywhere I'll let you know.

JR
Try the alternative drivers

http://www.meedios.com/download/MCERemot...ndows7.zip
Unfortunately, I installed B1 and the patch, my "Back" key doesn't work.
Using "zag2me" alt. drivers, completely canceled my remote, using the uninstall i got the remote to work again.

I am using Windows 7 ultimate 32bit, my MCE remote is: MS 1039 (original M$ remote).

I was trying to use the "showkey" utility but it doesn't work. when i open the notepad i can write numbers with the remote, when i press the "back" key it's supposed to backspace the last letter typed. but it doesn't so guess it's because the "back" key is not assigned to the backspace key.

Suggestions ?
@predatorftp: I've been playing with the original MS remote on standard XP but using the drivers from XP Media Center edition.

I put the remote on a nice clean freshly installed system to avoid any complications. I found that the MS remote does not send keystrokes for many buttons, and it doesn't send the "standard" keystrokes for many others.

With Windows Media Center Edition there is a set of standard keys e.g. ctrl-shift-P means "play". All the clone remotes I've looked at simply emulate a keyboard and send these standard keystrokes. Working this way means they don't require any drivers because Windows just thinks they're a USB keyboard; plug them in and they just work.

The pukka MS remote *does not* work this way. When I plugged the receiver into my test XP setup I got a "hardware cannot be installed error". I had to install separate drivers (that I got from the Windows MCE rollup2 hotfix). Having done this I did get an extra keyboard device, but as I said above it sends different keystrokes to my clone remotes.

I assume MS have designed their remote to work with MCE directly via the IR rather than just by sending keystrokes. In that case I can't make XBMC work with it because my mods just process keystrokes. It looks as if you're better off with a cheap clone remote than with the real MS remote :-(

One last comment: have a look at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61571. This describes how to make the MCE remote send whatever keystrokes you want. I tried it, and it does work. However it's quite a complicated procedure and not for the faint hearted, and I don't know if it would break anything else. If it's of interest I might be able to come up with a config that makes the MCE remote emulate the clone remotes that are, err, emulating the MS remote :-)

JR
@jhsrennie: Thanks for the answer, I would appreciate if you do make that reg key for me it looks very complicated and i don't really understand everything in that reg key.

but instead of emulating the emulation, i suggest that you simply assign the XBMC keyboard control letters to the remote keys. this way i don't go through your patch - it's a more classic and straight forward way (I think). what do you think about it ?

Can you point me to "Showkey" that works under Seven ?
@predatorftp: have a look at http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/mceremote.zip

This contains a .reg file that will configure the MCE remote to send keystrokes. Read the included ReadMe.txt first as it describes how to back up your current MCE remote config.

NB use at your own peril! I've tried it on my test system and it worked fine, but I haven't tried it on Windows 7.

JR

PS the showkey app should work on Windows 7. I'm using it on Server 2008 R2 here, and that's very similar to Windows 7. If it isn't showing any keys that's because the remote isn't sending any!
jhsrennie Wrote:@predatorftp: have a look at http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/mceremote.zip

This contains a .reg file that will configure the MCE remote to send keystrokes. Read the included ReadMe.txt first as it describes how to back up your current MCE remote config.

NB use at your own peril! I've tried it on my test system and it worked fine, but I haven't tried it on Windows 7.

JR

PS the showkey app should work on Windows 7. I'm using it on Server 2008 R2 here, and that's very similar to Windows 7. If it isn't showing any keys that's because the remote isn't sending any!

Thanks, I managed to do it my self, i found all the documentation and mapped the keys Smile it's working like a charm !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Camelot Alpha 2 MCE remote support1