Lownoise / Noiseless Asrock ION 330

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
freddy Offline
Finally, I didn't buy a zalman, I first tried to power the CPU fan with 5V (from the DVD/HDD power connector, no free 5V connector on the ASROCK ION 330, I've only seen the clear CMOS strap connector). With 5V, no noise, but temperatures were too high. Then I put a 68Ohms resistors in serie from the 12V fan connector and the temperatures are good now. Here are my results with 1080p playback

CPU FAN 12V/ BIOS ultra silent: GPU<75°C, CPU<55°C (initial)
CPU FAN 5V / BIOS ultra silent: GPU>85°C, CPU>80°C increasing -> stop
CPU FAN 5V / BIOS silent : GPU<85°C, CPU<75°C
CPU FAN 9V / BIOS silent : GPU<70°C, CPU<51°C
CPU FAN 9V / BIOS ultra silent: didn't try

With 9V and silent settings the CPU fan noise is gone and overall noise level is very acceptable Smile
Ciao
find quote
arco Offline
Donor
I replaced the case fan with this one, and it's quieter now.

[Image: FD-FAN-50_1_medium.jpg]
find quote
takoi Offline
Team-Kodi Member
the 50mm fan isn't really an issue. can easily be replaced with the Fractal Design one available everywhere. the 30mm is the noisy one..
find quote
stryx Offline
Could anyone test whether changing the fan control settings from maximum speed to ultrasilent makes any difference?

On my 330HT it doesn't seem to make any difference. I always hear a loud, high pitched noise from the CPU fan. (FW 1.00). I suspect a hardware fault but I'd like to make sure before I RMA my box Sad
find quote
freddy Offline
Do you mean BIOS 1.0? In my case I have BIOS 1.6 and when I change the fan setting it makes a big difference. With the max setting the case fan is very noisy. I think you should try to upgrade the BIOS.
find quote
stryx Offline
Ah.. but I have the 330HT version. There is no newer FW than 1.0 I'm afraid.
find quote
cambridge2k Offline
I have also the 330HT and the fan is really loud after a while. Changing from auto to ultrasilent doesn't make a difference. Maybe this will be improved by a BIOS-Update. At least I hope so ....
find quote
stryx Offline
I ordered a Zalman fanmate, this should do the trick for now... I'l let you know if it was 4 euros well spent Smile.
find quote
cambridge2k Offline
sounds good Big Grin . Please let me also know who you get the wires of the fanmate out of the case.
find quote
stryx Offline
Well, the Fanmate 2 makes a hell of a difference. Even when it's turned up to maximum speed. The case fan and the CPU fan make about the same level of noise now. Not (yet) great but acceptable.

I placed the fanmate inside the case. The Fanmate 2 version has quite long wires and it can be placed on the right hand side of the case (just).
find quote
cambridge2k Offline
Thanks for your review. What about the temps ?
find quote
stryx Offline
I'm at about 55 degrees C for CPU and 70 degrees for the GPU chipset.

Looks stable, but Ican't monitor when running XBMC.
find quote
emanon Offline
Got my 330HT a few days ago. The box is great, but as said XX times it is far from silent. Especially the high pitched noise is very noticeable.

Here is what i have done to minimize the level of noise:

I removed the "hood" and CD/Hard-drive (very easy). Source of the noise is 80% the little fan. Rest is the large chassis fan at the back, and a small portion of harddrive sound.

The high pitched sound is in my case produced by the fan making the heat sink "sing". I noticed if i put my fingers on the heat sink to stabilize it. The noise was totally changed and the high pitched noise was gone.

The small fan is kept in place with 4 screws into the heat sink. I removed 3 of the screws (the fourth is tricky to remove without taking out the motherboard). With only one screw keeping it in place i squeezed a rubber washer between the heatsink and the fan to make space between the fan and sink. See picture for details. [Image: img0130i.jpg]

I also squeezed a few rubber washer into the heatsinks to stabilize it and make the "singing" disappear (see above picture).

At the large fan i removed the 4 screws and fitted rubber washers between the fan and the chassis.

I put the cd/hd back and put the hood back on. The box was now alot more quiet. You could still hear a "woshing" sound, the high pitched is gone.

A few days later i found and old Fan Mate II. I put the small fan on the Fan Mate and placed the regulator on the outside. This finally made the box "silent". I can still hear it if i walk up to the box and listen, but it's far from how it was "out-of-the-box".

I have no temp readings since i cant get the sensors working on my ubuntu install. The system is very stable and i haven't noticed any problems after doing this.

This quick mod is warranty-friendly as everything can be reversed.

Hope this can help someone else with a noisy 330HT.
find quote
freddy Offline
Very interesting,
To monitor cpu temp I have had to patch the coretemp driver that doesn't manage ATOM cpu. I followed the tuto given at post 28 of this link:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1199797&page=3
After that I have installed the sensors-applet that displays GPU and CPU temp in the GNOME panel.
find quote
cambridge2k Offline
In the review on PCtreiber.net i've read that the Bios-Settings for the fan just have an effect on the 50 mm fan on the backside of the case. So the only possibilty to regulate the small CPU-Fan is a fan-control like the fan mate.
find quote