• 1(current)
Lownoise / Noiseless Asrock ION 330
Lightbulb 
Hi everyone,

My Asrock is now running very smooth now, thanks to this forum, and the next project is to make i less noisey!

Has anyone tried switching the fan, or some other mod, that could be recommented?

I'm planning on hiding it away in a draw, but I can hear it with it's current fan. So my thoughts are to install a papst 80mm fan in the draw, to get the hot air out, and change the small fan inside the Asrock.

Any suggestions?

Gudi
My is very low noise, maybe you can try CMOS BIOS setup fan speed to low ?
I remove the hard drive and DVD since I use live USB and only stream from
other PC, this may reduce some internal heat ? or use fanless external hard drive
for data storage...
dewen Wrote:My is very low noise, maybe you can try CMOS BIOS setup fan speed to low ?
I remove the hard drive and DVD since I use live USB and only stream from
other PC, this may reduce some internal heat ? or use fanless external hard drive
for data storage...

if you can't change the fan speed, install a resistor in line with the VCC or ground lines on the fan to slow it down. I suggest getting a lower rp m fan as well, however be advised the stock fan that comes on my Zotac ION is absolutely silent. it sits on top of my entertainment center in an open case (universal m350 case with tons of holes for ventilation) and I can not hear it at all from 3 feet away.
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
Of the three ASRocks I have set up two are basically dead silent (with the BIOS set to ultrasilent) - but the other is noisier.

On the noisier one, I think the best thing would be a new fan...they get pretty warm so I am not sure that slowing it down any further would be the right way to go....
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
I know that there are "different" Asrock 330 models - the ones before my "generation" is less noisey. I know this for a fact as a friend of mine got 2 (one new/one old).

However, it's defently the fan i can hear - and i will try changing that. But I'm a bit worried, as I can't get lm-sensors to give a correct output of the CPUs temperatures or the harddisk. I can read the GPU with this command: "nvidia-settings -c :0 -tq GPUCoreTemp" but that's it Sad!

I would really like to know the temperatures of the box before changing the fans. Any suggestions on what fan to choose? Papst?
i can suggest a Noiseblocker BlackSilentFan XR1 (600mm/ 11db) i swapped the Zotac on with this for the CPU and added an additional to the case, the only thing i hear now is the hdd spinning up Wink And the temperatures are still in good range ....
mason Wrote:i can suggest a Noiseblocker BlackSilentFan XR1 (600mm/ 11db) i swapped the Zotac on with this for the CPU and added an additional to the case, the only thing i hear now is the hdd spinning up Wink And the temperatures are still in good range ....

Wow 60cm fan!! ... that must be a nice propeller on the back side of your box. Smile

BTW I thought ASrock 330 has 50mm case fan? Do you mean 60mm can fit in also?

check this:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/10844274-post814.html
Hello,

Have swapped the noisy 5400rpm HDD that came in my Asrock for a 32GB SDD, and I can tell you that it makes a huge difference (much quieter), unfortunately I now hear the fan even more; will have to change that one too now :-)
My problem was with cpu fan, installed a fan controller on that one and turned the speed down. Haven't checked in a while but at the time temps didn't get above 55 degrees Celsius.
Hello all,
I have an Asrock ION 330 with ubuntu 9.04 and XBMC 9.11. All is working fine, XBMC is really a nice player. My problem is the noise generated by the CPU fan. I have 1.60 BIOS but even in ultra silent it's too noisy.
Amelandbor, could you please describe what you have modified in your Asrock ION 330. Is the fan controller extra hardware you installed inside the Asrock or it is only a software.
Thanks
I bought the Zalman Fanmate 2.
You hook this one up on the motherboard instead of the power cord of the original fan. The original power cord gets hooked up on the fanmate and the controller part is taken out of the Asrock.
Thank you for this info , I'll buy the same Smile
@Amelandbor: many thanks for this. I had an old fanmate and fanmateII lying about and used them both. However, I agree it's that CPU fan that is the most troublesome.

Now the machine is quiet I'm going to focus on replacing the thermal sponges with Arctic Silver 5 and then try to replace the case 50mm fan for something with more airflow and less noise.

What are your system temps under normal load (say, streaming H264 or watching a DVD)? My CPU cores can top out at 80C with my GPU at ~90C. I'm not massively concerned but would like lower temps. It would useful to know what you're seeing now you've had this fix in for a while.
Evanrich Wrote:if you can't change the fan speed, install a resistor in line with the VCC or ground lines on the fan to slow it down. I suggest getting a lower rp m fan as well, however be advised the stock fan that comes on my Zotac ION is absolutely silent. it sits on top of my entertainment center in an open case (universal m350 case with tons of holes for ventilation) and I can not hear it at all from 3 feet away.

Wow, my stock fan in not silent at all, and I have the same setup as you. I may need to use some gromits or something
Amelandbor Wrote:I bought the Zalman Fanmate 2.
You hook this one up on the motherboard instead of the power cord of the original fan. The original power cord gets hooked up on the fanmate and the controller part is taken out of the Asrock.

Did you need to replace the thermal paste?

What temp is your CPU / GPU?

Thanks,
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lownoise / Noiseless Asrock ION 3300