Cache settings on OSX?
Stop flogging a dead horse. There is no cache. If you think its easy to port the code from the xbox to Win32/Linux/OSX then go ahead.
because the player it used to affect on xbox is not available anymore.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

elupus Wrote:because the player it used to affect on xbox is not available anymore.

Now were getting somewhere, I didn't mean for this to cause consternation. I just have noticed much buffering on both my dad's (he's 73yrs old) and mine on the AppleTv's and I'd like to resolve these buffering issues one way or another - any productive thoughts on how to resolve it?
Yes, its your network, not XBMC.

I have had it on occasion. It usually if for instance I am writing something to my drobo whilst streaming. Basically the drobo is USB (on a droboshare) so writes in and out can cause the buffer to drop. Also network speeds may be effecting things, the best bet is to do a little testing with network tools such as istatsmenu, to see what in and out speeds you are getting.
garyi Wrote:Yes, its your network, not XBMC.

I have had it on occasion. It usually if for instance I am writing something to my drobo whilst streaming. Basically the drobo is USB (on a droboshare) so writes in and out can cause the buffer to drop. Also network speeds may be effecting things, the best bet is to do a little testing with network tools such as istatsmenu, to see what in and out speeds you are getting.

So I could see that if we were both in the same house or in the same state but he's in Florida and I'm in Michigan. I have an xbox hardlined to my comcast modem, the AppleTV is wireless and they both buffer but the xbox doesn't do it hardly at all cause I've allocated 12mb to that stream for cache, bringing me full circle to this thread.
lewis.donofrio Wrote:So I could see that if we were both in the same house or in the same state but he's in Florida and I'm in Michigan. I have an xbox hardlined to my comcast modem, the AppleTV is wireless and they both buffer but the xbox doesn't do it hardly at all cause I've allocated 12mb to that stream for cache, bringing me full circle to this thread.

Just as a test I plugged in the ethernet into my appletv just to see, and it paused in the same area's as wireless did (that played fine on the XBOX) same content same network same WAN.

--attempting to give productive feedback but let me know if I've overlooked something.
The feedback you are giving is fine, but what you have to understand is you have a problem, thousands do not.

Therefore you are looking at the wrong issue. Its not one of the size of the buffer. it is one of your network. I know this is hard to swallow but its the way it is. If it was one of buffer then this board would have post after post about.

Again, download some network tools and see what you are getting. Check what link speed you have is it gigabit, 100meg or less? Try transfering one large file and many small files. Etc etc.
Their is already a trac with a patch for it ... http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7030
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
CrashX Wrote:Their is already a trac with a patch for it ... http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7030

Make sure you also review the problem that plex users have had with this addition.
beano Wrote:what's the reason for this?... Seems retarded imo.

There is no way to control this in osx either?

beano Wrote:of course asking about it is "whining".

yes

And after giving some additional though to the two posts I quoted... They come off as:

- Demanding "What's the reason for this?" as if the developers answer to you!
- Belittling "Seems retarded imo" don't hold back tell us how you really feel!

Who are you to come off telling the developers the choices they'd made in the continued development of XBMC are/seem RETARDED. What code contributions have you made to the project? Could you even UNDERSTAND what the code was doing if you bothered to take the time to read it?!!?

I'm gonna go way out on a limb and presume that you have ZERO knowledge into the inner workings of the XBMC source code and if asked to explain what the source code was doing you'd simply have a silly look on your face. So for YOU to tell the developers how retarded the choices they've made WRT the core operations of XBMC is arrogance bordering on absurdity.
davilla: "...then all will be clear and everyone will go "hollysh**, I can't believe this happened"
Just read this whole thread - looking for the buffer to improve sketchy (certain Navi-x) internet streams. I do have to say this about XBMC - it is by far the most efficient program out there for handling buffering and video playback alone. I can successfully stream 1080 content over a wireless G network using XBMC. So as has been mentioned here - the issue is on your end. Most likely your router is a POS - but it could be other things as well. If you're running a fancy router - make sure you have disable QOS. Seriously though it could be so many things. Focus on the fact that your LAN is a complete mess and move on from there. I'm quite certain this response would have been handy for you two years ago...shiiiiiiiiit Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cache settings on OSX?0