• 3(current)
ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver?
won't get chance to do this tonight, will run these commands tomorrow.
no need to run those commands... it's just the output to see if we can find out how to get this sh*t working Smile
ok cool
marsjall Wrote:the bottom of my dmesg now says

Code:
[93191.409817] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[93192.328025] lirc_serial: auto-detected active low receiver
[93192.328037] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0
[93192.328190] lirc_serial $Revision: 5.104 $ registered

This looks pretty promising!

Shame I don't have the machine anymore else I'd be all over this, so pls bear with me while I try to work this out from memory and with you as a proxy!

Was there any other messages in dmesg related to this? What about /var/log/messages?

It *looks* here as if it has registered the serial IR receiver device, but I would have expected it to say where it registered it to in /dev/. Is there now any device on /dev/lirc* ?

What does "ls -al /dev/input/by-path" (as root) give?
Good news! A part of it at least...

I received a reply from Asrock today, here's what they say:

Quote:Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting ASRock.

About the issue, we've contacted our device vendor to provide drivers for Linux.
We believed that they are still working on it, please check our website one a while for latest drivers update.

Thank you for your feedback and have a nice day.

Your Sincerely,
ASRock TSD

Seems that they are working on it, but in what timeframe it will be ready...
I shutdown my Asrock last night from ubuntu and this morning when I switched on the TV it was on really loud, so I turned my Samsung TV down. Strangly my Asrock turned itself on!

I've checked it again and it definately isn't a fluke
More (same) news from ASRock:

Quote:Hello,

I will check this with our headquarters in Taiwan. Hopefully they can get drivers from the manufacturer of the IR controller.

Would people within the Linux community be able to write their own drivers for this? If so, what kind of information would they need?

As you might have read already, the controller is a Nuvoton W836x7HG CIR device. Maybe you and some others with the same request can also contact Nuvoton directly. Maybe it will help to convince them to provide some solution.

As soon as I get some feedback from Taiwan I will let you know.

Best regards,

ASRock Support

Hmmmm.

I'm still thinking that this IR controller can be run using one of the default kernel modules supplier in lirc.

I think the lirc_serial module is the best bet. Has anyone else tried "modprobe lirc_serial" and then checked dmesg and /var/log/messages for any hopeful signs?
BlueC Wrote:More (same) news from ASRock:
I think the lirc_serial module is the best bet. Has anyone else tried "modprobe lirc_serial" and then checked dmesg and /var/log/messages for any hopeful signs?

/var/log/messages:
Code:
Nov 20 17:50:53 XBMCLive kernel: [  130.884060] lirc_serial: auto-detected active low receiver
Nov 20 17:50:53 XBMCLive kernel: [  130.884069] lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0
/var/log/dmesg:
No new entry

After running the "modprobe lirc_serial" you get "/dev/lirc0" but still the remote doesnt work.
minifo Wrote:After running the "modprobe lirc_serial" you get "/dev/lirc0" but still the remote doesnt work.

Hmmm, but it creates the device in /dev so that makes me think the driver *does* work.

After the modprobe, can you try running "mode2" then button mashing the remote? Any joy?

Or maybe you need "mode2 --device=/dev/lirc0"

Any luck with that?
marsjall Wrote:WLAN works fine under 9.10

I checked inside BIOS and found a CIR enable/disable-switch (it's enabled), so I guess the device is present.

The driver-CD that came with this unit have some windows-drives for the CIR-device.

relnote.txt inside the XP-folder says:

XP CIR driver for Nuvoton's W836x7HG CIR devices.

I have send Nuvoton a mail asking about driver suppport.
Also in the Linux kernel source I found support for W83667HG, tough targeted as hardware monitor support.
I sent an author (from Nuvoton) a mail

I will also sent ASRock a mail.

I will post updates when I receive replies.
BlueC Wrote:Hmmm, but it creates the device in /dev so that makes me think the driver *does* work.

No that is not necessary the case. It will load if it finds any serial device - standard comm ports, etc...
BlueC Wrote:Hmmm, but it creates the device in /dev so that makes me think the driver *does* work.

After the modprobe, can you try running "mode2" then button mashing the remote? Any joy?

Or maybe you need "mode2 --device=/dev/lirc0"

Any luck with that?

I ran mode2 --device=/dev/lirc0

Code:
mode2: could not open /dev/lirc0
mode2: default_init(): Device or resource busy
marathont Wrote:I ran mode2 --device=/dev/lirc0

Code:
mode2: could not open /dev/lirc0
mode2: default_init(): Device or resource busy

Did you do that as root? Or with sudo? Oh, and did you make sure lircd isn't running too?
Hi! I am having the same problem with my asrock 330ht. After reading through this thread, i tried "dmesg" and "ls /dev/lirc*", but the output seems a bit different. Any ideas?

11 last lines from dmesg output:
Code:
[   20.582273] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[   20.592116]
[   20.592122] lirc_mceusb2: Philips eHome USB IR Transceiver and Microsoft MCE 2005 Remote Control driver for LIRC $Revision: 1.44 $
[   20.592129] lirc_mceusb2: Daniel Melander <[email protected]>, Martin Blatter <[email protected]>
[   20.595399] usbcore: registered new interface driver lirc_mceusb2
[   23.616300] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[   23.616311] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[   23.643265] Bridge firewalling registered
[   25.170228] ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
[   39.484019] eth0: no IPv6 routers present

ls /dev/lirc*:
Code:
xbmc@xbmc-htpc:~$ ls /dev/lirc*
/dev/lircd

I'm running ubuntu 9.04 desktop if that makes any difference
I scanned the "nuviocirxp.inf" which states that the device is a W836x7HG, after searching the nuvoton website it seems that this is a hardware monitoring chip. But the "x" seems to represent different models:

W836x7HG
W83637HG-AW LPC Super I/O for Desktop & Server
W83667HG LPC Super I/O for Desktop & Server
W83697HG LPC Super I/O for Desktop & Server

So which one is it ? Time to take a look inside. As i opened up my ION-330-HT-B-BB the chip states to be a: Nuvoton NCT6775F
http://www.isd.com/hq/enu/ProductAndSale...T6775F.htm

As is clearly seen in the productspecification:
http://www.isd.com/hq/enu/ProductAndSale...AndServer/

The NCT6775F is the only one with a Consumer-IR.

Therefore i can conclude that, if the device is recognized as being a W83667HG stated by cyberbird and BlueC (which has no IR functionality), this cannot possibly work.

Gr. Maximus.CC64
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver?1