Wikipage added for working with database
Star 
Hi,

this afternoon I wrote some little guides in the wiki for editing the database directly. In short terms it's about cleaning up scraper's settings and moving files from one path to another.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Cleaning_Up_Database

I just don't know from where to link to and whether it's really a good idea placing this in the wiki. People might misunderstand the guidance and crash their settings. Confused

Furthermore I don't know where to ask this in the forum so I placed it here. Hope its' not too bad.
Hi there, although I do apreciate contributions to the wiki this topic seems to be pretty advanced and to be honest nothing a normal user should really have to mess with. Exporting, then deleting the database and rescanning should really suffice. If not, then maybe we can make things better on xbmc side. Playing around with the database is not really something I want to encourage users to do and I really don't want to give any support to people doing so.This has been brought up internally though, thanks for your contribution though, if we decide against keeping it in the wiki or not (you can of course post your guide here in the forums for more advanced users).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
But thats the fact: XBMC doesn't help in any of the described cases. Or is my XBMC messed up already?
* It doesn't handle moved files. When moving or even renaming files they are thrown out of the library and then scanned as new ones, therefore all settings are lost.
* There is no way to change a whole directory tree to a new scraper without touching every single path.
People like to play around. At least I did. And my library contains settings I'd like to get rid of. As long as XBMC doesn't handle cases like these, there should be guidance to do it manually.

I intensely searched web page, wiki and forum but didn't find help or assitance for my problems. Therefore I did some investigations and wrote this guidance so others might benefit.
BaerMan, I personally thank you for the effort. The team can certainly choose not to have it on the wiki (although there are pretty obscure subjects in there) but as long as it is kept somewhere on the forums, all will be good.
Good work Baerman.

If this doesnt make it to the Wiki I hope it will at least get 'stickied' as there is some useful info in there.
Thank you. I'd like to do more on this topic but if there are chances that this page gets deleted I'll surely not do this in the wiki. So there is the question where to put this stuff? In the forum? Looks like a place as bad as the wiki concerning people possibly misunderstanding the guidance. Are there any other places I might put this topic in? And if the forum is best place, which part of the forum is relevant?
I have no problem with it being in an "Advanced topics" section of the wiki. Seems as good a place as any.

The main problem with the wiki in the past is the lack of contributions, or the orphaning of out of date contributions. If you're happy to maintain your contributions, then go for it.

Just make sure anything non-trivial (i.e. stuff most users won't hit) is clearly marked as such Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:I have no problem with it being in an "Advanced topics" section of the wiki. Seems as good a place as any.
For the moment this page is just laying around with no backlinks at all (apart from the one in this thread). So the question is: where to put links to that page to? I don't want to press my content to some pages that it doesn't belong to. My hope is, that any admin or wiki-maintainer might put a link to my page to exact that place it fits best.
Quote:The main problem with the wiki in the past is the lack of contributions, or the orphaning of out of date contributions. If you're happy to maintain your contributions, then go for it.
That would not be a problem. As long as I'm using XBMC by myself I'll work on stuff like this and update relevant pages.
Quote:Just make sure anything non-trivial (i.e. stuff most users won't hit) is clearly marked as such Smile
Of course. Therefore I preceeded the guide with an appropriate warning.
Sounds fine to me. I'll chat with TheUni and sho about an "advanced topics" section or something similar where this sort of thing could be linked in to.

Great! A special section containing advanced topics would be fine. I guess there are a lot of things one could do with XBMC and it's libraries .... Wink
I must admit I am bit torn here, where should we draw the line?
The forum has a section for niche how-tos.. when is your stuff niche and when not?
Should we move all how-tos to the wiki?
Or should we confine them to the forum?
What about a section in the wiki with the title: Expert (Keep Out You Maniac)

Hmm maybe a warning saying Team-Xbmc does not support this tutorial or something similar.
My preference would be to have the stuff itself in the wiki (linked to from an advanced topics-category or similar) and the discussion in the forum (in a special category too). This would offer the possibility to edit and update the script and its primary description in a convenient way (for everyone!) but would leave the discussion with specific questions or bug reports in a more familiar environment.

Would that be a reasonable way? Using this way I just started a new topic yesterday. But if it's not what you want I could change it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wikipage added for working with database0