Streaming blu-Ray over a PowerLine Connection
Hello,

I am building my first HTPC and had a question.

I was thinking of buying a couple TB drives and keeping them in my office, which is far from the TV. I'll have some sort of HTPC next to the TV, but the HDD farther away.

I wish to stream Blu-Ray from those drives to an HTPC using Netgear Powerline.

Do you think the Powerline technology will allow me to get the 1080p I am looking for?

Thanks in Advance.
Ok, So I did a little reading. (shoulda done that first)
Powerline connection is definitly not the way to go. It looks like I may just have to put the HDD into the HTPC and sound be damned!. Sad
Why not? What transfer rates are you wanting to achieve?

Mine devolo Power/Home plugs, across ring mains, will do ~70mbits, or ~7MB/s..
well
I'm looking to get the best uncompressed video 1080p with no visible video stutter. From what I've read, it is really a hit and miss proposition.

Based on how I get the video's to my HTPC will determine what hardware I buy. If the data is stored up in the office, I can use an old PC case. If it is in the component stand, then the wife wants it pretty.

To just make it easy on myself, I think sticking a HDD in the HT case is the best.

but now I need to read up on how to set up RAID so when the drive is full I can just plop another drive in.
Hahaha, might try a two dixie cups and string. Go wired, it's the only reliable way to stream full blown 1080p

As for as "best uncompressed video 1080p", you can forget that as you are in the 90+ MBytes per second range. Note, that's MBytes not MBits.
cocjh1 Wrote:Why not? What transfer rates are you wanting to achieve?

Mine devolo Power/Home plugs, across ring mains, will do ~70mbits, or ~7MB/s..

It's not a matter of pure bandwidth when you use Powerline. Especially for streaming purposes this service is unreliable.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming blu-Ray over a PowerLine Connection0