• 5(current)
Synchronize music/video multicast-stream playback to multiple instances of XBMC
imickey503 Wrote:I don't get it. If it is in linux, Does that not make it open source?
No, it is a closed source application (meaning that is only available in binary/pre-compiled format). Open source means that the full source code is available for anyone for download (to be able to make changes) and compile themselves.

See wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source
vs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprietary_software

So what is source code: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_code

So just because a software is free or just because it is available for Linux does not make it open source.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
This guys site mentions the following:
Requirements:
  • An up and running Slimserver
  • python
  • python-gtk2
  • python-glade2
  • madplay (which I think is this)
Are these other python parts included in XBMC? Could they be added?
Could madplay be done away with and mplayer used instead?

Just some musings to keep things going...Nod.
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, either way you are right!

XBox 1.6
/ Xecutor 2.6CE / X2 5035 Bios /
T3CH XBMC 2009-05-09 9.04-Babylon
Rainbow 
FYI; here is a good diagram showing where PulseAudio lies in the linux audio structure. (It should be noted that PulseAudio is still in such an early development state yet that it only supports stereo sound and thus leaves out configuration of surround systems, that is, without hacking the config files to add this function).
http://rudd-o.com/archives/2007/11/05/ho...dio-works/

Quote:How PulseAudio works

In an effort to better understand how each of the PulseAudio components interact with each other, I’ve done a small diagram that roughly shows how each component connects and interacts:

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Hi All, I don't wanna give up on this and so pm'd the developer of gslimp3 a Perl Squeeze device emulator that works with the slimp protocol.

He's stopped working on it but has given me a link to his source. The last change he made was to seperate the protocol handling element from the gui.

So in short, as I understand it we have a module written in Perl that emulates a slim device and uses the slimp protocol.

Apparently all the core stuff is in slimp3.py file.

http://jefke.free.fr/debian/sarge/source...0.6.tar.gz

Is this a step closer to being able to sync XBMC boxes throughout the house
Is there anyone who can pick this up and run with it?
Is anyone willing to offer bounty?
How many people are looking for this functionality?

XBox 1.6
EDIT: sry I think I got mixed up with Perl and Python.

XBox 1.6
I wonder if you could run OSXBMC on each TV and then use screen sharing to sync the a/v?
This is dead for the original XBOX since the ports are doing well at this point and il will be MUCH easier to do this in Linux/OSX/Windows given the audio drivers and other open-source apps that can be leveraged.

Focus on getting this done in the Linux port and you have a MUCH better chance.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Affini Wrote:This is dead for the original XBOX since the ports are doing well at this point
While I agree with you that this has a much better chance of making it into Linux/Mac/Windows version of XBMC first and thus there is where the initial focus should probably be, I still like to ask you to please refrain from making statements saying that the Xbox version has no chance at all in ever getting that because that is not true, that is unless you plan on coding this yourself and only implement it in a way that makes it impossible to port it to the Xbox.
I'd love to see an interface for Multi-Zone Audio. I'd like to use a single instance of XBMC to run all my ceiling speakers in my house.

Is there a dev willing to take this on?
That's something that should be controlled by hardware. We aren't in the home automation biz.
Gamester17,
"there was no-chance" - you used those words, not me.

I simply gave my opinion and a simple to verify fact... there are open-source apps that exist that make it easier to implement on non-xbox platforms.

I've love to see this happen... so much that I posted a [req] in the Linux forum before you posted.
althekiller Wrote:That's something that should be controlled by hardware. We aren't in the home automation biz.

Audio = Media
XBMC = Media Center
Multi-Zone Audio + XBMC = logical! Nod

Multi Room A/V is fundamental to any modern media center, to not include it would be a great oversight.

Several apps do exactly what I'm asking for... MeediOS, Homeseer (+ media plug-ins), Girder, NetRemote, XLobby, and others... I'd just like my favorite to have that feature so I don't need to use something else.

So to add Multi-Zone control to a Media Center application does not see so far fetched to me Wink
I posted this here in the 'OS independent Forum' because I'm not concerned with what OS platform it gets integrated into first. I'm just trying to put in some of the ground work, maintain/generate some interest and determine if whether what I have put forward provides a reasonable way to achieve what many amongst us see as a new 'must have' feature.

My XBMC will never be 'DEAD'...it my loose some of the overall use but it will always retain something even it were only to become functional as a sync'ble device in a multi-room audio system.

I believe in the strength and flexibility of the Slim product and figured that with the openness of that dev stream, these 2 projects would be well matched.

XBox 1.6
I already said it once, we do media, not home automation. Granted on further research you didn't really prove a point as homeseer and xlobby are both HARDWARE solutions and a few of those other apps just use PLUGINS to access this hardware. That being said, I suggest you learn python.
this is something that you can do with pulseaudio. let xbmc output it's sound
to pulseaudio and let pulseaudio handle rederection and syncronisation.
so it should be doable without making any changes to xbmc
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Synchronize music/video multicast-stream playback to multiple instances of XBMC0