Need some guidence on 2 issues: 1)Harmony One remote config and 2) Boxee on XBMCLive
Question 
Hello

First off, huge props to the devs, I just get blown away with how awesome XBMC is whenever I use it.

I recently upgraded from my venerable Xbox running XBMC to an Acer Revo running XBMCLive 9.10 Alpha2 due to the Xbox being unable to handle my x264 encoded MP4 files (I was using MKV divx which worked fine on the Xbox, but then after foolishly trying to use my PS3 with UPnP and Mediatomb, I moved over to using x264 and MP4).

Generally everything works well, but I have one issue and one question.

1) Harmony One remote config

Out of the box, my MCE Remote (R6) works generally very well, but since I have a Harmony One remote, I'd like to use that instead of the MCE Remote. However, I have yet to find a profile in Logitech's database that allows it to replicate the functions of my MCE Remote. I have read the guides on here, but they aren't specific about which profile to use. Can anyone suggest which profile I can use, that will allow the Harmony One to act like my MCE Remote? Do I also need to change Lircmap.xml as well if using the Harmony?

Also, whilst on the question, is the current setup with remotes in XBMCLive the following:
Lircmap.xml is used to define the codes from the remote and map them to generic commands.
Remote.xml is used to map those generic commands to specific XBMC functions.
I often read about reference to keymap.xml when it comes to remotes in XBMC, but I do not have that file anywhere in my XBMCLive system and I am wondering if that is Xbox specific or depreciated?

2) Boxee on XBMCLive

I know that currently XBMCLive Alpha2 is based on Ubuntu 9.10 and that Boxee is not currently officially supported under 9.10 (although it can be installed by using some Jaunty packages). On the assumption that eventually it will be available on 9.10 (once the Beta is released I guess) would it be possible to install Boxee on an XBMCLive system? Would it simply be a case of adding the Boxee karmic repos to software sources and using apt?

Any views on either question much appreciated. As I hope you can see, I have already done a lot of research on this, via Google and XBMC Forums search, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on both points (I know the Harmony One is mentioned in loads of posts about XBMC, but most of them seem to refer to using XBMC on the Xbox and getting it to replicate the Xbox remote - which of course is not is what is needed when using XBMCLive).
1. Just make your Harmony mimic a MCE rmeote. You don't have to change anything. The Harmony then sends out the same IR as the original would have done, LIRC interprets it and XBMC acts on it.
See, that's what I have tried, quite a few times, but I haven't yet found an MCE Remote profile that works.

I guess I might be choosing the wrong profiles, since I am choosing either Media Centre PC > Mircosoft > MCE
or Games Console (with DVD) > Microsoft > MCE

I will try branching out and see if I can something that directly replicates my working MCE working remote, a Hauppage MCE RC6 remote. Then if it works, I will give something back and see if I can upload a profile for XBMC under Media Centre (there is one for Boxee and Media Portal I noticed). I just need to figure out how to submit one!!!
Are you sure it is a real MCE remote and not a clone using it's own IR-setup? I haven't heard of anyone having this trouble. I tried a few of the harmony profiles myself and pretty much all of them work.
Well, the remote that works is a Hauppage MCE Remote - bought from a Bricks n Mortar store, so pretty sure it is legit. It worked straight out of the box on install of XBMC Live, so I am pretty sure it is just like a normal MCE Remote.

I guess I just need to fiddle around some more with various MCE Profiles from Logitech for the Harmony One and see what happens. If you can suggest a profile that you know works (and how to get to it (Device>Manufacture>Model)) that'd be useful.

Cheers for the response so far.
Just switched to Windows 7 and Harmony refuses to install. As soon as I'll get it going, I'll get back to you with my conf.
Cool, cheers Wink
You can always learn the commands with the Harmony.
Yeah, this will be helpful,
especially when you don't have original MCE remote. (like me. only a harmony remote and mce receiver)

I'm hoping to see A managed, fully functional, confirmed to work XBMC-MCE profile in harmony DB. Like Plex does now.
In the Harmony Software select Media PC as the device type and then MCE Remote as the device model. Works fine for me with my Harmony 555.
Got a Harmony One and added the device as a MicrosotfWindows Media Center remote and it works with my Revo XBMC using the MCE IR dongle without any problem whatsoever.
at last, i figured out what's the problem.
it was poor ir-filter quality of my mce receiver(hp oem one).
i fixed it with a black vinyl wrap and now it's working without problem.
used 'Video Recorder > PVR > Microsoft > MCE' profile.
shiree1 Wrote:i fixed it with a black vinyl wrap and now it's working without problem.

I've been reading up, and I think I have the same/similar HP IR receiver, so I was hoping you could explain a bit more about how you fixed it. How was the black vinyl wrap used?

Thanks!

Rick // DurhamDev
DurhamDev Wrote:I've been reading up, and I think I have the same/similar HP IR receiver, so I was hoping you could explain a bit more about how you fixed it. How was the black vinyl wrap used?

Thanks!

Rick // DurhamDev

I think what he did was use the Black Vinyl Wrap on the front of the IR Reciever.. What this does it it eliminates random IR (Mostly from your flat screen television) and only allows the stronger signal from the Harmony to get through allowing the IR commands to be transfered to XBMC.
So, I edited one of the MCE remote profiles in the Harmony software, so now it works out of the box with no changes required to anything on the XBMC side (including the Exit and Prev Channel buttons working as Back etc).

I have got in touch with Logitech support and they said they would flag my profile and try to add the XBMC profile to the database, so hopefully there will eventually be an XBMC profile in the database for all Harmony remotes, which would be cool Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need some guidence on 2 issues: 1)Harmony One remote config and 2) Boxee on XBMCLive0