Ubuntu full install or minimal ??
Hi all,

First time post here, I used (and loved) XBMC back in the days of my original xbox and am now building an HTPC using a zotac ION based mb.

I have decided to go the Ubuntu route but have a question for you all, I would like to boot the machine straight into XBMC when switched on however i would also like to use this as a pc sometimes (web browsing, torrent download e.t.c)

Would i notice any difference in performance (apart from boot time) between a full install of Ubuntu with XBMC runnig as an app and a minimal or live cd install of XBMC.

This will mostly be used to play HD 1080 and 720 video content.

Thanks in advance. Smile
weaselteaser Wrote:Hi all,

First time post here, I used (and loved) XBMC back in the days of my original xbox and am now building an HTPC using a zotac ION based mb.

I have decided to go the Ubuntu route but have a question for you all, I would like to boot the machine straight into XBMC when switched on however i would also like to use this as a pc sometimes (web browsing, torrent download e.t.c)

Would i notice any difference in performance (apart from boot time) between a full install of Ubuntu with XBMC runnig as an app and a minimal or live cd install of XBMC.

This will mostly be used to play HD 1080 and 720 video content.

Thanks in advance. Smile

Hi.

I'm a recent firsttime user as well.

Tried the full ubuntu with xbmc first, but found it a bit bloated and performance-wise there was a minimal difference. I much prefer the minimal install with xbmc as only x server.

What i did was install my machine with dual-boot, so I got windows xp as well. Then I can play my football manager 2010 when I want to, surf etc in windows. And when I need a mediacenter it just boots into xbmc as default in grub.

My suggestion (by no chance objective) is dual-boot xp and ubuntu minimal/xbmc Smile

Enjoy !
ynwa
For a newbie, I'd recommend installing the live version to HDD. If you're looking for a bit more out of your base OS & want to expend the effort, I'd recommend using Xubuntu as the base not full blown Ubuntu. XFCE is much lighter desktop environment then Gnome, so makes for a decent "in between" install that still has Firefox & the like.

You didn't mention it, but if you will be wanting DVR features I'd recommend mythbuntu (also XFCE based, this is what I chose to do). This would definitely be a higher level of effort & I'm probably going well off topic now, but I'm very happy with it.

Just like, my opinion, man.
-Rupert
Star 
Hello,

This is my first post Laugh

How to install drivers and configure wireless access in the ubuntu 9.10 minimal?
Only LAN works!

Note: I have this board Zotac ION IONITX-D-E.

Thanks
Solution here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=424...stcount=36

"NOTE : I had to disable eth0 just before restarting the network service by editing that interfaces file like so :

#auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp"

"HOWTO: Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc.":
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=318539
Hello Hello,

First post on this forum and maybe not on the right thread. I'm trying to install XBMC on my PS3 where I have already installed Xubuntu 9.04.
I'm trying to follow the steps as per xbmc org website, but it seems that the system (Xubuntu) is not able to add the "Repos" (Error messages when I reload the software source).
Did somebody has already installed XBMC on Xubuntu 9.04?? What are the exact Repo lines to add??

Thanks

Thierry
@weaselteaser

I didn´t notice a big difference except that my setup starts gnome now before it goes to xbmc, thats a bit more not so nice "flickering" on startup but makes 2 seconds difference only.
weaselteaser, you might want to look at xubuntu over ubuntu if you are concerned about performance. xubuntu is a full install but it uses Xfce for the desktop rather than gnome and its a bit more lightweight. i had some performance problems under ubuntu that werent there using xubuntu

TITMF, you cant install it on a PS3. xbox1, linux, mac and windows are your options.
you might want to read through this in order to help make your decision.

if you really want something for your ps3, you might check this out... but i havnt used it and i dont know anyone that has so i have no idea how well it works
Thanks for the replies, didn't know about xubuntu. the Xfce environment is actually nice looking to say it's designed to be lightweight.

Just need to sort out fitting all my bits inside my old Atari 2600 case now, can't wait !!
Just one last question. .

Would i see any benefit from installing the 64 bit version of xubuntu, i know the Zotac ION-A motherboard (dual core atom 330) supports 64 bit.

Thanks again.
The n330 Atom CPU do not support 64bit instructions afaik, so 64bit OS won´t help...even if you get it to work somehow.
installing xfce on ubuntu 9.10

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu full install or minimal ??0