Detecting when XBMC / VDR is idle?
Hi all,

I'd like to try and figure out some way of detecting when my system is idle - I'm currently running Karmic minimal with XBMC and VDR with Streamdev extensions installed.
Most of the time my little 'server' box is just sat doing nothing.. so I'd like to put it to sleep after idle for xx minutes.

Now that sounds all fine and easy but the problem is this box runs VDR which streams TV to another XBMC client I have in the house - so if I just put the server to sleep after xx minutes of no user activity then I could cut someone off that is watching TV through VDR remotely.

My plan is;

Determine if VDR is streaming (or even better if a client is connected) AND if XBMC is currently not idle - if both are false for xx minutes then sleep.
Then in my bootup scripts at the client I will send a WOL packet to 'wake' the server box.

This way my PC isn't always on when not being used, but it also means someone doesn't have to go upstairs and turn it on each time they want to watch TV Smile

Any suggestions would be great.
Have a search, I vaguely remember someone posting about a similar setup a while ago.

If i was doing it, I would check if VDR is active, if it is idle, then use xbmc's http api to see if there is anything currently playing, if not then shutdown.

Shouldn't be too hard to script as long as there is a easy way of checking what you want in vdr.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Detecting when XBMC / VDR is idle?0