XBMC 9.11a crashes on startup with Ubuntu 9.10
outleradam Wrote:in that case upgrade to the 195 video drivers.

That didnt help either, still crashes.
I also have tried 185 and 190 nvidia drivers.
can you trigger this realiably? this has nothing to do with nvidia drivers, it's a bug in libdbus
What do you mean by "trigger this realiably"?

Ok, should I isntall another version of libdbus?
can you reproduce this issue whenever you feel like it? i can't and hence its pretty much impossible to track.

on top of that it looks like a bug in a third party lib which i really don't feel like learning. but this bug sucks :/
I have the same problem. XBMC can't be used at all.

Although it looks like dbus is crashing (to be more precise its strlen that is crashing), it still can be a XBMC bug if its passing bad parameters to dbus.

Any thoughts what changed between alpha and beta2 in that area?
I've compiled yesterday's GIT version and looks like it works fine.

If XBMC developers see my post, I suggest to swap the Log and dbus function calls in the following function:

CDBusMessage::CDBusMessage(const char *destination, const char *object, const char *interface, const char *method)
{
m_reply = NULL;
m_message = dbus_message_new_method_call (destination, object, interface, method);
CLog::Log(LOGDEBUG, "DBus: Creating message to %s on %s with interface %s and method %s\n", destination, object, interface, method);
}

Currently when dbus function crashes we will not be able to see why it happened since log function will not be called.

I didn't dive too deep in the sources, but I'm not sure last logs are flushed to file in case of crash since Log::Log only writes to the file, that output might still be in cache when crashing.

Just my 2 cents.
I have the exact same problem, Im using debian squeeze testing.
Any ideas when next XBMC release is scheduled?
I prefer to stick with formal releases than custom build.
I've searched the trac system to check if there is a submitted bug about it and see the progress, but I couldn't find one.

Is there a bug number on that issue?

Yesterday Ubuntu's updater showed that there is an update for XBMC, after the update the application launched once normally. After reboot the same problem got back, crash after the splash screen.

Had to reinstall the compiled version.

I don't mind to debug the problem by myself if it's not fixed, but the compiled sources seems to work.

I just want to make sure the problem is addressed and not ignored.
The release versions are coming from the release branch, not trunk. If you want to help troubleshoot, be sure that you're compiling from there.

git checkout -b release origin/9.11_Camelot

That should put you in the right place. then git clean -fdx and recompile.
Followed theuni instructions.

As expected, locally compiled version works fine.
I've got the same issue.

Setup: AMD athlon 5050e, geforce 8300. Debian squeeze 32bit, compiled from SVN (trunk) yesterday. Today I reinstalled, this time with Ubuntu 9.10 (minimal install) 64bit. I used the standard packages from the PPA.

I'll try compiling latest svn on the ubuntu system.
Has issue been resolved yet? I installed XBMC for the my first time and it ran successfully the first time but always seems to crash on startup now. The error I get is

line 72: 3293 Segmentation fault (core dumped) /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin "$@"

I am running Ubuntu on an ASRock ION 330.

I installed using apt-get, should checkout and trunk and build myself?
I still have no luck with the apt-get version.
Compilation works fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 9.11a crashes on startup with Ubuntu 9.100