The difference between harmony and keyboard
I love the abilities of XBMC and the fact I can use my Harmony remote at all is enough.

But on the occasions I need to use the keyboard, what a revelation!

Using the harmony you think XBMC is sluggish, and slow. Use the keyboard and its like a cat quick and agile.

I wonder how other users are finding theres? Is there anything I can do to improve performance of the harmony? I notice my apple remote on ATV is also many times more responsive, so I am prepared to accept its the harmony. I have a 1000.
Really sorry I put this in the wrong bit, I wanted it in the support for apple XBMC, opps.
Yeah, the plain Apple remote is also nice and quick. The problem is definitely the Harmony.

I'm not sure if it's due to it being learned incorrectly/inefficiently or due to it waiting too long after broadcasting or whatever.

There's a user elsewhere on here that started re-learning it and hinted that he was getting better results - can't recall offhand which thread it was. You might want to try checking that thread out?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

There was certainly a tip on reducing the amount of time between commands being sent on the harmony. of which I reduced, it seems to have deteriorated though, there was a period of time where it felt very snappy.

Right now though its really druggy. The odd thing though is that say you are scrolling on the main menu, with the keyboard the scrolling of the menus is nice, smooth and quick. If you use the harmony, the menus suddenly feel like the computer is having to much stress put on it, they start 'jerking' along. This does not make much sense to me, in as much as the move from one menu item to the next, once instigated by what ever remote should be smooth.

All I can guess is, the processing required to interpret harmony commands is quite processor intensive?

Its certainly even druggier in snow leopard 10.6.2, although I have no way to prove this.
Exclamation 
How did you get the keyboard / mouse working?

garyi Wrote:I love the abilities of XBMC and the fact I can use my Harmony remote at all is enough.

But on the occasions I need to use the keyboard, what a revelation!

Using the harmony you think XBMC is sluggish, and slow. Use the keyboard and its like a cat quick and agile.

I wonder how other users are finding theres? Is there anything I can do to improve performance of the harmony? I notice my apple remote on ATV is also many times more responsive, so I am prepared to accept its the harmony. I have a 1000.

garyi Wrote:There was certainly a tip on reducing the amount of time between commands being sent on the harmony. of which I reduced, it seems to have deteriorated though, there was a period of time where it felt very snappy.

Right now though its really druggy. The odd thing though is that say you are scrolling on the main menu, with the keyboard the scrolling of the menus is nice, smooth and quick. If you use the harmony, the menus suddenly feel like the computer is having to much stress put on it, they start 'jerking' along. This does not make much sense to me, in as much as the move from one menu item to the next, once instigated by what ever remote should be smooth.

All I can guess is, the processing required to interpret harmony commands is quite processor intensive?

Its certainly even druggier in snow leopard 10.6.2, although I have no way to prove this.

I have 2 more Issues:

1. XBMC on Apple TV 3.0.1 cannot see my Synology NAS - CubeStation CS407 or any devices on the WORKGROUP by Windows Network SMB browsing. I had to set up the network location by using the local LAN IP address.

Is there any way to ensure the following:
- CS407 - CubeStation shows up as a valid network location on the Windows Network SMB. Even going via Windows Network on my WinXP machine I could not see it.
- XBMC on Apple TV can browse to them and add them as source for media

2. Its irritatingly slow to type out things using the Apple Remote for XBMC to add network locations & type out things using the Onscreen one click onscreen keyboard.

Is there a better faster way to have a proper keyboard that will work in AppleTV and on XBMC on AppleTV.

The iPhone based Apple Remote only shows AppleTV LIBRARY options. It does not to exact screen control.

Is it possible to plug in a USB or Bluetooth keyboard to work on Apple TV & XBMC?
and/or
Some iPhone App that can give me a virtual keyboard (on iPhone) screen to enter stuff into Apple TV & XBMC.

Suggetions?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The difference between harmony and keyboard0