[LIVE] HOW-TO create a bootable XBMC Live 9.11 USB disk (on Windows and Linux)
I just made a bootable USB Live usb pen, on a Kingston 2 GB data travelar.
Im trying to install on a Zotac ionitx-a, but it will not install, because it asks for a CD-ROM drive.

I have used the same usb pen, on the same machine to install XBMC 9.04, and I have made no changes to the machine, so it is the new installer that has problems.
Will live-sn.cpio.gz still work? My file always empty.
Same problem! To rule out the 4gb USB stick (which I used succesfully to install 9.04 on my Acer Revo 3600) I reformatted it to make sure there's not more than one partition, and put XBMCLive 9.11 on that. Doesn't make a difference though, it still doesn't recognize it during install. I've done some digging in syslog and see it fails to mount /dev/sdb1 under /cdrom (no other reason given). A simple mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /cdrom from a shell works fine though. My Linux knowledge ends about here Smile
nielsgoossens Wrote:Same problem! .... A simple mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /cdrom from a shell works fine though. My Linux knowledge ends about here Smile

Can you do this durring the install? So you can continue the installation? (Hey why chat about it, I'm trying it!)
hi,

it seems that the live-rw file doesn't get mounted right for me or that xbmc still tries to write to the image:

debugging shows:

Quote:13:33:49 T:3078346640 M:1461252096 ERROR: SQLite: Some kind of disk I/O error occurred
Query: insert into path (idPath, strPath, strContent, strScraper) values (NULL,'smb://warrior/dump/movies/','','')
13:33:49 T:3078346640 M:1461727232 ERROR: AddPath unable to addpath (insert into path (idPath, strPath, strContent, strScraper) values (NULL,'smb://warrior/dump/movies/','',''))
13:33:49 T:3078346640 M:1461727232 ERROR: Create - Error creating /home/xbmc/.xbmc/temp/scrapers
13:33:49 T:3078346640 M:1461727232 ERROR: Create - Error creating special://temp/scrapers
13:33:49 T:3032853360 M:1461727232 ERROR: SQLite: Some kind of disk I/O error occurred
Query: update version set iCompressCount=1
13:33:49 T:3032853360 M:1461727232 ERROR: Compressing the database MyVideos34.db failed
13:33:49 T:3032853360 M:1461727232 NOTICE: My Videos: Scanning for video info using worker thread, operation took 00:00

df shows:

Quote:xbmc@XBMCLive:/live/image/dotXBMC/temp$ df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
aufs 3339208 711596 2457988 23% /
udev 771836 232 771604 1% /dev
/dev/sda1 3895568 3895568 0 100% /live/image
/dev/loop2 3339208 711596 2457988 23% /live/cow
tmpfs 771836 0 771836 0% /live
none 771836 0 771836 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 771836 12 771824 1% /tmp
none 771836 52 771784 1% /var/run
none 771836 0 771836 0% /var/lock
none 771836 0 771836 0% /lib/init/rw

so im guessing the live-rw file got mounted right during boot.

Is xbmc trying to write the scraper informations to the wrong destination or was there an error mounting the live-rw file?
hellsing Wrote:EDIT: I always find the solution myself just after i've asked someone else Tongue, i changed "default vesamenu.c32" to "default ubnentry0" in syslinux.cfg

I have done this this change and now have XBMC9.11-repac running each boot. Is there any reason not to do this but rather do the "regular" install?
Hi, after some screwing around i got this to work pretty well, i just have to figure out which USB device to allow the computer to wake up and which not to because ones waking it up when its not meant to.

Anyway i have a slight problem, i have a pretty hefty size library of about 4TB. Now i understand that USB is slower but its been 2 days now and it still hasn't finished scanning my tv shows and eventually the whole pc slows down or does something silly and i have to reboot, then i start scanning again. It picks up where it left off but its still really really slow. Is this a normal thing, or because there is no page file and i have 2gb minus 256mb for the onboard video or anything anyone can think of, because this is the only thing giving me grief now and i really don't want to have to go out and buy a laptop hard disk for the HTPC if i don't have to.
Not that anybody has replied to my first post but everything seems to be running ok but whenever i go into Movies library it just crashes to the login prompt, anyone have any idea's?
joel_ezekiel Wrote:Not that anybody has replied to my first post but everything seems to be running ok but whenever i go into Movies library it just crashes to the login prompt, anyone have any idea's?

Is it happening with PM3.HD skin also?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

I exported the library because i was going to wipe the db file and import it again but after exporting it i havent had the same issue again, if it happens again i'll try different skin, friend of mine also said if you wake it up from sleep and go strait to tv or video's first then to movies it doesnt crash, i didnt get a chance to try that either.
I have followed the tutorial, but I am having issues mounting live-rw.

When I put "sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt" I get an error that says "fat: bogus number of reserved sectors". The usb key is formatted as fat32 and doesn't have a problem running xbmc live without the persistent storage.

I'm a noob and xbmc live is my first foray into the linux world.

loquist
Ok what am I doing wrong?

I've tried multiple bootable USB drives I created with unetbootin. I have tried an 8gb (Laser) USB stick and 2 x 4gb USB (Kingston & Corsair) sticks.

The 8gb stick is recognised and boots fine but when trying to install XBMC to Revo HDD I get to the point where it tries to find the preseed.cfg file and it can't locate it. Appears to still look for it on the cdrom and not usb.

Both the 4gb sticks are not recognised by the Revo when it boots up and it goes straight into booting Windows from the HDD. My home PC recognises them ok.

Have read through this thread and tried a few modifications to the text in syslinux.cfg with my limited knowledge but have have no luck.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?
bennythejet Wrote:Both the 4gb sticks are not recognised by the Revo when it boots up and it goes straight into booting Windows from the HDD. My home PC recognises them ok.

It sounds like you have set up the bios to boot the 8GB drive but not the 4GB drives. I have a Revo and I have noticed that some usb drives are recognized as removable disks and some as hard drives. I have to set the bios boot priority each time I change usb drives.

Do you see the 4GB drives when you go to the boot menu (F12 on boot)?

Just a thought.

loquist
Thanks but I gave on the usbs and borrowed a mate's external dvd drive. Worked without any problems.
loquist Wrote:I have followed the tutorial, but I am having issues mounting live-rw.

When I put "sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt" I get an error that says "fat: bogus number of reserved sectors". The usb key is formatted as fat32 and doesn't have a problem running xbmc live without the persistent storage.

I'm a noob and xbmc live is my first foray into the linux world.

loquist

Bump

Anyone?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO create a bootable XBMC Live 9.11 USB disk (on Windows and Linux)0