Seemless / Gapless video playback when use file-stacking with XBMC's DVDPlayer?
Sad 
i'll try to explain it again; precaching/preloading video for gapless video playback is not possible because mplayer architecture is just not setup to deal with it (yes xbmc uses mplayer as its video-player core to playback video-files). currently mplayer is designed to restart with each file so that it can open the file with the correct codecs + filters etc. ...to re-write and re-design mplayer to playback gapless video would be a major task and i doubt any of our own developers are up to that, ...if you want you can however try asking the mplayer-developers via their 'mplayer-users' general support mailing list or submit a feature request via their mplayer bug tracking system using the 'enhancement' severity (just don't mention xbmc as it would be much better if it was request for "mplayer for linux").
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
just wanted to mention that i brought up interest in this a while back, and it's still one of my top 5 wanted features. definitely something i will look at myself when i get some time - even if it means hacking the mplayer code or something.

if anyone has any more in-depth detail about how it could be accomplished, please drop me a note.

thanks.
Cool
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
Exclamation 
(gglaze @ sep. 28 2005,00:18 Wrote:if anyone has any more in-depth detail about how it could be accomplished, please drop me a note.
suggest you ask for suggestions on mplayer-dev-eng mailing-list (just make sure you state that you're a c/c++ programmer and ask in a 'technical' way, otherwise they might flame you)
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I guess this is probably more of an mplayer request rather than XBMC...

Title pretty much says it all, but thought I'd share the little neuron that flashed whilst thinking about it...

mplayer seems to be working with opendml avis; in fact sometimes i'll get a pop-up about it building a superindex for some large avi's.

The superindex, as i understand it, is just pointers to the 'normal' sub-2GB indexes. Wouldn't it be slick if it built a superindex that 'pointed at' the indexes in the stacked avi files?
that is more of a mplayer question. thou i've had plans to fix dvd player to play files seamless, thou that won't happen untill abit after 2.0. it's main use is still fro dvdplayback

is there a way to stack a 2 part movie fith out a delay between part 1 and 2 there is like a 4sec freeze when it switches to disk 2 can i set the buffer to fix this?
no
This is not very important, and something you may not care about, but I think it may be possible to fix it, so I wanted to post anyway.

I was watching a film split in two parts today, and the stacked feature simply makes a gap for half a second or so, but I was thinking it's a tad annoying(truly no more than that) to have the gap, as everything that gets you out of the sensations you have watching a film is negative. If you use the stacked-feature, the movie knows it's supposed to start the next file automatically when the first is over, but would it be possible then to start buffering the other file when it's say five seconds left of the first, so that it's virtually no gap at all? Maybe it's not possible to do something with another file when one is already in use, but if it is, could it be possible?

As I said, even if it would work, I understand if you think it's a no-issue Smile
Ofcourse it's possible. That doesn't mean it's going to happen in the shortterm though. First up is getting the ability to use two players at the same time (so the second can prebuffer). A patch would be most welcome.

jmarshall Wrote:Ofcourse it's possible. That doesn't mean it's going to happen in the shortterm though. First up is getting the ability to use two players at the same time (so the second can prebuffer). A patch would be most welcome.

As I said, I understand if you see it as a non-issue. I'm not sure if you're serious or ironic though... Would it be possible to have two players with the same features(which I suppose is necessary as you mention it) running at the same time? Sounds like too much work, but I never demanded anything either, merely asking what you think.
Sure, I didn't take it as a demand, as otherwise I wouldn't have bothered replying Wink

I simply stated the way I think it should be handled, and yes, it would be a reasonable chunk of work to do so.

If you or anyone else would want to take a crack, feel free to get in contact and ask questions and so on.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I hate to raise a thread from the dead, but I was curious if this is any more feasible now than it was a few years back? I know DVDPlayer has come a long way. I'm working on a plugin for a site where the videos are sent over HTTP and split up into tiny parts for adaptive bitrate switching (3-20 seconds a piece), meaning that every 3-20 seconds the video has to stop and buffer the next piece. It would be fantastic if gapless video playback were achievable by some means, as viewing these videos with all of the buffering is pretty painful.
Lightbulb 
Perfect seamless (gapless) playback for videos in a playlist.
So... is this possible with DVDPlayer as maruchan asks, pls suggest
(2014-02-02, 08:49)NKbmc Wrote: So... is this possible with DVDPlayer as maruchan asks, pls suggest

Been possible and done for many years now. I believe gaps mainly show up for videos that aren't of similar encoding settings. XBMC doesn't even use mplayer anymore.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Seemless / Gapless video playback when use file-stacking with XBMC's DVDPlayer?0