XBMC on AppleTV with Harmony Remote
I've got my AppleTV w/ XBMC configured to use my harmony remote with the new Keymap included in 9.11 beta. Is there was a way to map a button to send the "menu hold" command without actually having to hold down the menu button?
Not that am aware of, I assume you are using the appletv remote with the harmony so you only have six buttons to play with?

If you speak with logitech directly they can adjust your settings so that a hold command can be sent, harmonies by default just send multiple commands if the button is held.
Actually, it is possible but you would have to replace one of the six 'single click' commands and therefore abandon one one them.

MacMini 2.3gHz i7, OS X 10.13.6
Running Kodi 18.9
jpf55 Wrote:Actually, it is possible but you would have to replace one of the six 'single click' commands and therefore abandon one one them.

Would you be able to tell me how to accomplish this?
I can only help if you are on a Mac, are you?

all commands are located here:

/Volumes/frontrow/Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system/keymaps/joystick.AppleRemote.xml

I used to modify this file every time the was a new stable version of xbmc and this got to be tedious but now that the remote layout is more logical and user friendly, I suggest you get used to it.

But if you still want help, let me know

Running Kodi 18.9
jpf55 Wrote:I can only help if you are on a Mac, are you?

all commands are located here:

/Volumes/frontrow/Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system/keymaps/joystick.AppleRemote.xml

I used to modify this file every time the was a new stable version of xbmc and this got to be tedious but now that the remote layout is more logical and user friendly, I suggest you get used to it.

But if you still want help, let me know

I have already been modifing my keymap file but I don't see a command for "menu hold" in the user guide or in the forums. Do you know this secret command?
danman217 Wrote:I have already been modifing my keymap file but I don't see a command for "menu hold" in the user guide or in the forums. Do you know this secret command?

Quote:<!-- hold menu --> <button id="8">

any action that is defined for button id=8 can be remapped to any other button

e.g.

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <joystick name="AppleRemote">
      <button id="8">ContextMenu</button>

change it to
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
      <button id="6">ContextMenu</button>

and pushing menu will bring up the context menu.
danman217 Wrote:I have already been modifing my keymap file but I don't see a command for "menu hold" in the user guide or in the forums. Do you know this secret command?

This is the way I used to have mine:
<!-- Plus --> <button id="1">BigStepForward</button>
<!-- Minus --> <button id="2">BigStepBack</button>
<!-- Left --> <button id="3">SmallStepBack</button>
<!-- Right --> <button id="4">StepForward</button>
<!-- Play --> <button id="5">Pause</button>
<!-- Menu --> <button id="6">OSD</button>
<!-- hold play --> <button id="7">Stop</button>
<!-- hold menu --> <button id="8">Info</button>

Running Kodi 18.9
Wonderful. Thank you very much. I will have to try that hen I get home tonight
Amet Wrote:any action that is defined for button id=8 can be remapped to any other button

e.g.

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
      <button id="8">ContextMenu</button>

change it to
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
      <button id="6">ContextMenu</button>

and pushing menu will bring up the context menu.

Here is a clip from my joystick.Harmony.xml file:

Code:
<global>
    <joystick name="Harmony">
      <!-- up           -->      <button id="1">Up</button>
      <!-- minus          -->      <button id="2">Down</button>
      <!-- left           -->      <button id="3">Left</button>
      <!-- right          -->      <button id="4">Right</button>
      <!-- OK        -->      <button id="5">Select</button>
      <!-- menu           -->      <button id="6">ContextMenu</button>
      <!-- hold play      -->      <button id="7">Fullscreen</button>
      <!-- hold menu      -->      <button id="8">ContextMenu</button>

As you can see the button id 6 is already defined at ContextMenu as well as button id 8. It still doesn't bring up the ContextMenu through when browsing movies and tv shows. The menu button just goes back to the last page. Not sure what the problem is still... I have XBMC set to use the Harmony remote under the system settings.
danman217 Wrote:Here is a clip from my joystick.Harmony.xml file:

Code:
<global>
    <joystick name="Harmony">
      <!-- up           -->      <button id="1">Up</button>
      <!-- minus          -->      <button id="2">Down</button>
      <!-- left           -->      <button id="3">Left</button>
      <!-- right          -->      <button id="4">Right</button>
      <!-- OK        -->      <button id="5">Select</button>
      <!-- menu           -->      <button id="6">ContextMenu</button>
      <!-- hold play      -->      <button id="7">Fullscreen</button>
      <!-- hold menu      -->      <button id="8">ContextMenu</button>

As you can see the button id 6 is already defined at ContextMenu as well as button id 8. It still doesn't bring up the ContextMenu through when browsing movies and tv shows. The menu button just goes back to the last page. Not sure what the problem is still... I have XBMC set to use the Harmony remote under the system settings.

Try making the change in joystick.AppleRemote.xml
ok, so making changes to the AppleRemote.xml file does in fact allow me to pull the Context Menu from a single press... My question now is why would i need to edit that file since i have my system set to use the Harmony keymap?

My debug log shows that i'm loading the following keymaps:
Code:
3:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74297344    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/gamepad.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74280960    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/joystick.AppleRemote.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74268672    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/joystick.Harmony.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74244096    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/joystick.Logitech.RumblePad.2.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74235904    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/joystick.Microsoft.Xbox.Controller.S.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74211328    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/joystick.Sony.PLAYSTATION(R)3.Controller.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74207232    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/joystick.WiiRemote.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74194944    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/keyboard.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74178560    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/Keymap.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74178560    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/remote.xml

With all these key maps loading and the XBMC settings only allows me to choose, Standard, Multi-Remote (Harmony) and Universal remote. I have toggled these setting every which way and it doesn't seem to actually do anything...

I am currenting using a Logitech Harmony 890 Pro remote which is mapped to the AppleTV command codes. I read in another thread that I can use the Plex codes to control the unit as well and that seems to work "ok", but some of the mapping don't line up. Does any body have just an easy way to setup my harmony remote to get better control of this setup?

I suppose i don't really understand how the code for these keymap files work. When I type "<joystick=Harmony><Play>Play</Play></joystick>" how in the world does XBMC know what the infrared code that my Harmony remote is sending out for the "Play" button is programmed for? No wonder the instructions never work!

Can't i just get somebody to say "Setup your harmony remote to use the <i>Plex</i> device IR codes and here is a keymap file to assign all the buttons nicely...."
And then tell me how to install this keymap file... I know i can just copy the file into my keymaps directory and XBMC will load the file, but do i need to overwrite my joystick.AppleRemote.xml file with the new keymap or can i somehow tell XBMC to use my custom one? This is all so very confusing.
danman217 Wrote:ok, so making changes to the AppleRemote.xml file does in fact allow me to pull the Context Menu from a single press... My question now is why would i need to edit that file since i have my system set to use the Harmony keymap?

My debug log shows that i'm loading the following keymaps:
Code:
3:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74297344    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/gamepad.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74280960    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/joystick.AppleRemote.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74268672    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/joystick.Harmony.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74244096    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/joystick.Logitech.RumblePad.2.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74235904    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/joystick.Microsoft.Xbox.Controller.S.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74211328    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/joystick.Sony.PLAYSTATION(R)3.Controller.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74207232    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/joystick.WiiRemote.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74194944    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/keyboard.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74178560    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/Keymap.xml
03:46:40 T:2684407808 M: 74178560    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/remote.xml

With all these key maps loading and the XBMC settings only allows me to choose, Standard, Multi-Remote (Harmony) and Universal remote. I have toggled these setting every which way and it doesn't seem to actually do anything...

I am currenting using a Logitech Harmony 890 Pro remote which is mapped to the AppleTV command codes. I read in another thread that I can use the Plex codes to control the unit as well and that seems to work "ok", but some of the mapping don't line up. Does any body have just an easy way to setup my harmony remote to get better control of this setup?

I suppose i don't really understand how the code for these keymap files work. When I type "<joystick=Harmony><Play>Play</Play></joystick>" how in the world does XBMC know what the infrared code that my Harmony remote is sending out for the "Play" button is programmed for? No wonder the instructions never work!

Can't i just get somebody to say "Setup your harmony remote to use the <i>Plex</i> device IR codes and here is a keymap file to assign all the buttons nicely...."
And then tell me how to install this keymap file... I know i can just copy the file into my keymaps directory and XBMC will load the file, but do i need to overwrite my joystick.AppleRemote.xml file with the new keymap or can i somehow tell XBMC to use my custom one? This is all so very confusing.

Not sure about harmony and the "Plex" IR codes, sorry

you dont need to overwrite the joystick.AppleRemote.xml, just copy it to Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/keymaps and call it joystick.AppleRemote_own.xml. any file in keymaps folder will get loaded on start.
XBMC on ATV uses the ...appleremote.xml keymap and there's currently no native Harmony support like there is on OSX. Check out the "Learned Remote" feature of recent ATV version (> 2.4 IIRC). (see also http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...tv+harmony)

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
MaestroDD Wrote:XBMC on ATV uses the ...appleremote.xml keymap and there's currently no native Harmony support like there is on OSX. Check out the "Learned Remote" feature of recent ATV version (> 2.4 IIRC). (see also http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...tv+harmony)

I suppose that i should have mentioned that I'm using XBMC 9.11 Beta1, which has introduced native Harmony remote support. But I don't know what device to program my remote to use.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on AppleTV with Harmony Remote0