location of xorg.conf in 9.11 beta1
i'm trying to edit my xorg.conf file after fresh installation of live CD 9.11 beta1 to harddisk. But i can't find it anymore in /etc/X11? is it somewhere else? i use Winscp to browse for the file, login in with my username and password that were created during install... thnx
I think you find your answer in this thread.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=44956
It sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

seem to work as usual,
screamer Wrote:I think you find your answer in this thread.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=44956

it seems that when i follow this solution, i don't have a 'xorg.conf, but instead it's called XF86config
currently testing my adjustments of this file to see of it works indeed. I'm trying to enable auto refresh rate changer by adding Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
to the 'section screen' of this file
is it possible to create/edit xorg.conf with the Linux Live (on a USB stick) version ?

I cqan't find it or the directories anywhere....

other than refresh rate not changing, I'm much preferring this Linux build to the new Windows one ... mainly because of implementation of VDPAU

in Windows 1080i content = lots of dropped frames - with CPU keeping on going over 99%

in Windows - 1080p content = 37% CPU usage

in Linux - 1080i content - 3.5% CPU usage and no dropped frames

1080p content - 3% CPU usage - no dropped frames

much better - just would like to get autofresh rate working
Im assuming your using Nvidia. Is this on xbmc Live installation or ubuntu with xbmc installed on it.

If its xbmc-live then one option is to

exit xbmc
login
startx
right mouse click on desktop and start a terminal.
sudo nvidia-settings (I think this is correct)

then in nvidia settings there is an option to save settings to xorg.conf. This should therefore create one if you don't already have one.

Then you would just need to add those to lines to xorg.conf and refresh change should work.

@Buckster I totally agree with you about xbmc running on linux. It does require a lot more work to get it working but the pay-off is worth it.
thanks Abnormal1

I've tried what oyu've suggested - just a normal Terminal ?

when I put sudo nvidia-settings in - it asks for a password - which I put in XBMC (??) and it then just comes up with an error (something like cannot access shared libraries ?)

any ideas please ?
Is this what you did (Its a clearer explanation)?
"When you exit xbmc and type startx it runs a x-windows gui called fluxbux. Then you right click with the mouse select Applications - Terminal Emulators - XTerm."

Once this terminal starts then type sudo nvidia-settings

Then in the settings under X Server Display Configuration you can create/save a new xorg.conf.
Note: If you have Option "DynamicTwinView" "False" in a config file then this option will tell you its unable to load and you will have to remove that line. Just remember to add it later aswell as the Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native" line.

If this is what you did then can you post what the messages it gave were.
thanks again Abnormal 1 - will try again

Is this what you did (Its a clearer explanation)?
"When you exit xbmc and type startx it runs a x-windows gui called fluxbux.
<check
Then you right click with the mouse select Applications - Terminal Emulators - XTerm."
check

Once this terminal starts then type sudo nvidia-settings
check

then it asks me for a password ? which I assume is XBMC ?

then it gives the shared libraries error - will write down exact error message

ok first is

<sudo> password for xbmc (I put in XBMC) - then it asks again - xbmc again

then gives me the error

nvidia-settings error while loading shared libraries libgtk******************** : no such file or directory

thanks for help
@ buckster : I have exactly the same problem have you solved it ?

get the same mesaage in the terminal....

please help Smile
apparently its because a piece of software required to perform the load/edit of nvidia-settings is not on the XBMC Live dist Sad

not sure of the work-around ..
I just went through the faff of installing properly to a USB from the "Live" dist

and still sudo nvidia-settings doesn't work

any ideas on how to get it to work please
I am having the same problem in 9.11 Beta2.
If I try and edit the XF86Config file it just resets after reboot. I can't get autorefresh without being able to edit the display settings. Anybody have any ideas?

-Bahndit
Sad 
Same thing here. Bog standard XBMCLive beta 2, ion 330 nvidia setup.

Can modify the XF86Config, but it just goes back to normal every startup.
whats the difference betweenthe XF86Config file and the Xorg.conf file ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
location of xorg.conf in 9.11 beta10