Revo 3600 - Win7 of Ubuntu
I have been reading many posts in this forum and still confused. Just got a Revo R3600 and need to install an operating system along with XBMC. I have movies on my PC, shared folder, and plan on setting the revo up in my living room. Besides the movies I can stream over, I want to access Hulu and other content sites. Ultimate goal is to dump cable. Win7 or Ubuntu?

Also, can I run the HDMI output from the Revo to my receiver and enjoy the the HT system I have?

Thanks for any feedback.

JHC
I use WinXP on my Revo 3600 because I run other Windows software including some I've written myself. Use whatever OS you're more comfortable with.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:I use WinXP on my Revo 3600 because I run other Windows software including some I've written myself. Use whatever OS you're more comfortable with.

JR

Well, if he wants to get the best performance and take advantage of HD using VDPAU, Linux is the better choice.
xpresso Wrote:Well, if he wants to get the best performance and take advantage of HD using VDPAU, Linux is the better choice.

That's not necessarily true. VDPAU is just a Linux implementation and API for PureVideo HD which is already supported by nVidia's Windows drivers.
theophile Wrote:That's not necessarily true. VDPAU is just a Linux implementation and API for PureVideo HD which is already supported by nVidia's Windows drivers.

He didn't say PureVideo doesn't exist. He said that if you want to use VDPAU to accelerate HD video in XBMC, you can't use Windows. Thats absolutely true.

If you want to use PureVideo you'll have to use something else for playback or else wait for XBMC support.
If you want to play HD stuff, you can still use Windows, but you'll have to use either an external player or Tiben's (still somewhat) experimental version of XBMC for hardware acceleration in Windows.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61355

If you aren't currently worried about HD, you should be fine with either Win7 or Ubuntu.
xpresso Wrote:Well, if he wants to get the best performance and take advantage of HD using VDPAU, Linux is the better choice.

I thought about saying something to that effect, but it's not as simple an argument as you state.

XBMC doesn't support hardware acceleration on Windows (or OSX). That's true. But ...

- the Revo is capable of playing 720p so it's only an issue if you can't live without 1080p

- on Windows you can use an external player that does support hardware acceleration; admittedly this isn't trivial to configure, but if you're up to managing unix you should have no problems making an external player work.

- there is the DSPlayer mod to XBMC that does support hardware acceleration

So I'd say the argument was finely balanced, and this brings us back to my point that the main reason for the choice of OS is likely to be how comfortable you are managing it and what else you want to use the OS for.

JR
I appreciate the comments. I do planning on surfing the web in the comfort of my couch. So, watching movies (ripped), checking out YouTube, Hulu, and other video sites, and surfing the web are in my plans, and to dump cable.

As an aside, I tried to load Ubuntu via a flash drive and wasn't successful. I kept getting an error message saying the disk was dirty or something like that. I believe I set up the flash drive properly as it went through the set up and I get the message near the end of the install. I tried Ubuntu and also the netbook remix of Ubuntu. Both installs failed so I am still without an OS. A little frustrating but a learning experience.
I have a R3610 with Windows 7, using a wired connection, XBMC with external player (MPC-HC) and it's working great.
By external player, do you mean a DVD player and using MPC-HC or are you just using MPC-HC? Sorry, this is relatively new to me.
MPC-HC as an alternate player to the XBMC built-in player.
joebanana Wrote:MPC-HC as an alternate player to the XBMC built-in player.

Possible tutorial would be awesome!If one exists, Ill be searching the boards when i get to work. i installed live for now and would like to use win7 if possible.

Thanks
tlipur Wrote:Possible tutorial would be awesome!If one exists, Ill be searching the boards when i get to work. i installed live for now and would like to use win7 if possible.

Thanks

Search the wiki instead Wink
tlipur Wrote:Possible tutorial would be awesome!If one exists, Ill be searching the boards when i get to work. i installed live for now and would like to use win7 if possible.

Thanks

This section of the Wiki may well assist you, I'll be looking to do the same with my new Revo R3610.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_use_a...a_playback
Wow, thats a little complicated for my brain. I guess one step at a time. I finally got Ubuntu (netbook remix ver.) loaded last night. Now to install XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Revo 3600 - Win7 of Ubuntu0