• 6(current)
Win HOW-TO share folders over SMB using Windows 7
i dont know why but i have just had to go through the procedure here to get movies to stream successfully from my computer. other versions of XBMC and KODI worked but not the latest 14.2 Helix, no idea why.

i was very pleased to find the info in this post. i just wondered if there was any chance of it being updated please? things are a bit different now to how they were when this guide was first done. i managed to follow it but terms and info on Windows 7 pages has changed. i'll bet there will be even more extremely grateful customers than there have been to date.

many tnx for taking the time to do this originally. it saved me pulling more hair out than i can afford to
(2015-04-07, 10:49)Prettygrim Wrote: i dont know why but i have just had to go through the procedure here to get movies to stream successfully from my computer. other versions of XBMC and KODI worked but not the latest 14.2 Helix, no idea why.

i was very pleased to find the info in this post. i just wondered if there was any chance of it being updated please? things are a bit different now to how they were when this guide was first done. i managed to follow it but terms and info on Windows 7 pages has changed. i'll bet there will be even more extremely grateful customers than there have been to date.

many tnx for taking the time to do this originally. it saved me pulling more hair out than i can afford to

I don't know if I can update win7 guide info, because I'm not running win7 anywhere. I could def add win8 stuff though.
Before testing this out, uninstalling windows essentials and Live sign in, what are the purpose of those 2, is it needed on our PC. I just want to make sure if I uninstall it doesn't cause an issue with my Windows PC and is needed to run my PC properly, I don't use messenger, so if that's all it is for then I don't need it. Please advise before I remove.
I believe it was necessary to uninstall Essentials back in the XMBC days when trying to use SMB with an XBox, you shouldn't have an issue with other devices, especially if you use Kodi 15.0.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
(2015-08-12, 21:54)levi.baker88 Wrote: I believe it was necessary to uninstall Essentials back in the XMBC days when trying to use SMB with an XBox, you shouldn't have an issue with other devices, especially if you use Kodi 15.0.

I am using Kodi 15.0 and get the SMB lock preference for username and password still. Both on Windows 7 and 8
(2015-08-13, 02:40)DJB628 Wrote:
(2015-08-12, 21:54)levi.baker88 Wrote: I believe it was necessary to uninstall Essentials back in the XMBC days when trying to use SMB with an XBox, you shouldn't have an issue with other devices, especially if you use Kodi 15.0.

I am using Kodi 15.0 and get the SMB lock preference for username and password still. Both on Windows 7 and 8

Did you turn off password protected sharing?
(2015-08-13, 08:24)Warner306 Wrote:
(2015-08-13, 02:40)DJB628 Wrote:

Did you turn off password protected sharing?

Yes I have on both PC, and I still get prompted with the below message.

Enter the username and password of the computer where the files are located, also tick 'remember for this path'.

As an example: my username is Levi Baker but Kodi requires it without the space and then my password
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
(2015-08-13, 13:24)levi.baker88 Wrote: Enter the username and password of the computer where the files are located, also tick 'remember for this path'.

As an example: my username is Levi Baker but Kodi requires it without the space and then my password

Good question, I don't recall setting up or using a username and password, LOL

So how do I go about getting that
The Username and Password is for Windows user. I still find it baffling that you need local login credentials for a network related function, because Windows I guess haha

This should help:
Go to Control Panel > User Accounts. Click your user and add a password. (personally I have never tried without one in Kodi...)

There is a hyperlink in my sig to the SMB wiki and that also contains a link to the Windows website for a further how-to, once there, select the workgroup option.
(2015-08-13, 14:10)levi.baker88 Wrote: The Username and Password is for Windows user. I still find it baffling that you need local login credentials for a network related function, because Windows I guess haha

This should help:
Go to Control Panel > User Accounts. Click your user and add a password. (personally I have never tried without one in Kodi...)

There is a hyperlink in my sig to the SMB wiki and that also contains a link to the Windows website for a further how-to, once there, select the workgroup option.

Only issue with this, is that it seems to already have a password, that I don't recall setting, and to change it, it requires I know the original password, LOL
Well lol. How do you logon to that device if you power it off?

Are you administrator that device?
(2015-08-13, 22:04)levi.baker88 Wrote: Well lol. How do you logon to that device if you power it off?

Are you administrator that device?

Don't need a password to login, and yes I'm Admin
Generally the password is adminsitrator for the administrator account. Try and change the curent one or apply a new one.
(2015-08-14, 03:29)levi.baker88 Wrote: Generally the password is adminsitrator for the administrator account. Try and change the curent one or apply a new one.

I will give it a shot and let you know
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO share folders over SMB using Windows 74