Windows - HOW-TO share folders over SMB using Windows 7

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
pryanic Offline
Hello guys. I'm trying to setup windows share on android app. But I need to enter username and pass. WTF? I haven't installed Windows Live Sign In Assistant.
find quote
lnsnorm Offline
Why is this so difficult with THIS program? Honestly, I don't see why many thousands of users have to put up with a difficult process to get this to work, instead of fixing Kodi to function better.

I installed Kodi on my primary PC that has a 4 TB hard drive, and it works great, looks great plays movies fine. I have 2 other pc's, a laptop and a mini pc (my media pc) all talking fine to each other over the homegroup network, sharing files, having no problems.

BUT, Kodi on the other pc's just won't find the shared 4 TB movie hard drive. I've been spending HOURS trying the installation and configuration wiki, and all the suggestions on this forum thread.

It's ridiculous and stupid on the part of whoever made Kodi that they have at this point (V16 Jarvis) still have not made this process work more fluidly. If I can access the hard drive and play a movie with VLC from both my other computers, then there is no reason that Kodi shouldn't be just that simple.
find quote
Warner306 Offline
Posting Freak
(2016-01-28 15:52)lnsnorm Wrote:  Why is this so difficult with THIS program? Honestly, I don't see why many thousands of users have to put up with a difficult process to get this to work, instead of fixing Kodi to function better.

I installed Kodi on my primary PC that has a 4 TB hard drive, and it works great, looks great plays movies fine. I have 2 other pc's, a laptop and a mini pc (my media pc) all talking fine to each other over the homegroup network, sharing files, having no problems.

BUT, Kodi on the other pc's just won't find the shared 4 TB movie hard drive. I've been spending HOURS trying the installation and configuration wiki, and all the suggestions on this forum thread.

It's ridiculous and stupid on the part of whoever made Kodi that they have at this point (V16 Jarvis) still have not made this process work more fluidly. If I can access the hard drive and play a movie with VLC from both my other computers, then there is no reason that Kodi shouldn't be just that simple.

You can manually enter the path. Kodi doesn't have to find the drive.
find quote
lnsnorm Offline
(2016-01-29 06:23)Warner306 Wrote:  
(2016-01-28 15:52)lnsnorm Wrote:  Why is this so difficult with THIS program? Honestly, I don't see why many thousands of users have to put up with a difficult process to get this to work, instead of fixing Kodi to function better.

You can manually enter the path. Kodi doesn't have to find the drive.

I stand by my original comment. It's ridiculous that plenty of programs will simply FIND a shared folder, but Kodi cannot seem to accomplish this task. "deleted"
find quote
davekent Offline
Gentlemen; could you possibly help with a sharing issue please ? Only some films are being shown in a networked folder despite there being twice as many actually in it.

I followed the methods above and managed to share a film filled folder on my PC with a wireless networked Gbox, loaded with a Kodi installation linked to my TV. Both my PC and the Gbox have the same build of Kodi.

On my PC, I can watch films in Kodi in all their glory, no problem, 102 in all and they all run nicely in Kodi. On my Gbox, in kodi, only 43 are shown as being present in that shared folder on my PC. No filters are in operation for the files in Kodi on the Gbox. I thought, well, maybe it's the codecs in Kodi but that is why I have now used the same build on both devices and the problem persists.

To make things even more interesting, I tried converting one of the films that does not show up in the Gbox to a different format on the PC (to an AVI from MKV in fact) and lo and behold, it showed up on the Gbox as a new file. I did this twice, with a different file, and the same occurred.

The files that are not showing up are in various regularly used formats, mp4, mkv, avi, so I can't see it being due to non-compatibility as there are so many missing on the Gbox and the same build of Kodi sees and plays them on the PC.

Any ideas on this gents please ?
find quote