• 3(current)
Win HOW-TO share folders over SMB using Windows 7
Why is CIFS not used to share data from W7 machines.

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.120/music /mnt/share/ -o username=xbmc,password=xbmc,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0666,dir_mode=0666,rw

works great if enterred manually !
I recently bought a copy of Win 7 for my new server and had so much trouble viewing my shares on my XBMC box on my network. After a weekend of reading everything on the internet I found out that the Windows live essentials app causes some issues with sharing folders with non Windows 7 pc's. I uninstalled it then it worked right away.

Now it doesn't ask me for a user and password when I got to add a smb share in XBMC.

Thought I would share that with you peeps.
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:I recently bought a copy of Win 7 for my new server and had so much trouble viewing my shares on my XBMC box on my network. After a weekend of reading everything on the internet I found out that the Windows live essentials app causes some issues with sharing folders with non Windows 7 pc's. I uninstalled it then it worked right away.

Now it doesn't ask me for a user and password when I got to add a smb share in XBMC.

TNX!!

can confirm that this indeed works, uninstall Windows live essentials and everything just works as it did before.

(have to use aMSN for now)
Is it a MUST to deinstall all Windows Live stuff?
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:I recently bought a copy of Win 7 for my new server and had so much trouble viewing my shares on my XBMC box on my network. After a weekend of reading everything on the internet I found out that the Windows live essentials app causes some issues with sharing folders with non Windows 7 pc's. I uninstalled it then it worked right away.

For me it worked also.
But is there anything else we can do to overcame this problem?
I use messenger all the time and I don't want to stop using it...
Please you master minds...

I’ve contacted Windows Live to tell about their problem about messing up the sharing folders with non Windows 7 PC's.
I advise you to do the same.
Maybe they would do something about it.
scanboostar Wrote:Why is CIFS not used to share data from W7 machines.

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.120/music /mnt/share/ -o username=xbmc,password=xbmc,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0666,dir_mode=0666,rw

works great if enterred manually !

You may want to append "_netdev" (no quotes) to the options above. There is a great tutorial on how to add a CIFS share into /etc/fstab so that the shares are automatically mounted at boot:

http://opensuse.swerdna.org/susesambacifs.html#fstab

In order to use CIFS, I had to add the smbfs package from apt-get:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install smbfs

This will allow you to add Windows 7 shares if you need to keep Windows Live installed. If you just like Windows Messenger, consider trying Pidgin. I also run Windows 7 64-bit and I uninstalled Windows Live to fix the problem with mounting shares from within XBMC.

I hope this helps someone! I spent more than a few hours trying to figure this out.
One Additional Step Needed In Order To Share A Root Directory

Since I spent hours pulling my hair out trying to fix a problem I was having, I figured I'd go ahead and post the solution that finally worked in case anyone else needs it.

My problem was I was trying to share the root directory for two of my hard drives on Windows 7 x64. I had installed two new hard drives and assigned one of them as E:\ with the label Movies and the other as F:\ with the label TV Shows and then proceeded to place the files directly in the root directory. When I went to my Revo to add the shares in XBMC, it could see them, but it would ask me for the password even though there were none set up. The weirdest thing was I had other folders on my D:\ drive that XBMC had no problem accessing without a password, but for some reason it didn't like my root directory shares. I had set up all of the permissions and user groups the exact same as those folders for my root directories so I couldn't for the life of me figure out why XBMC couldn't add them because they were no different than the folders I was already sharing.

After doing some internet scouring I finally found the solution. You do everything that was described in the first post and treat the drive just like a folder, but you have to do one more step after setting up permissions. What you have to do is add the user group Everyone in the Security tab for the hard drive. You do this by going to Windows Explorer and Right clicking on the hard drive you want to share (D:\, E:\, etc.) -> Properties -> Security tab -> Edit -> Add -> Type in "Everyone" -> Hit Enter -> Apply -> OK -> OK

After that, XBMC shouldn't ask you for a password when you try to add that root directory as a share. Enjoy! Big Grin
I used to have sharing enabled on my PC which was running XP so I can stream music and video to my xbox via wireless on my network. Ever since I got my new machine with Windows 7 64bit running, nothing but problems!

I tried setting u an SMB share to my new box...when I browse the XBOX sees and detects my Windows 7. When I click on my Hostname of the Windows 7 box, it enters the defauls password automatically and prompts for a password....but it keeps denying my password every time. I tried entering the administrator username and password, it also denies that. I tried the method from this thread posted by natethomas. Didn't solve my issue.

I don't have Windows Live Assignment installed on my box. The folder which is set is shared with everyone permissions. Under my hostname I have a folder "Users" which is shared to everyone so it shouldn't even ask me for a password..

I'm honestly unsure what to do at this point. Anyone have any suggestions?
I'd been having this problem for quite a while, and couldn't find a solution like most others. I just took a screen shot of what changes I had to make to the Local Security Policy (just type that into the search box when you hit the Start button in Windows 7).

I'm thinking this should get added to the first post.

I've verified that it works perfectly allowing anonymous access to the shares.

Obviously, it isn't as secure as the defaults that Windows 7 has, but my network is pretty locked down, so I don't have concerns myself.
Mini-ITX HTPC: Zotac IONITX-A (GF9400), Mini-Box M350, 2x512MB DDR2-533, 160GB 2.5" HD, XBMC Live 10.1, 20W/30W (Idle/Max)
Media Server: 2x2GB DDR2-800, 6x2TB WD20EARS, FreeNAS 8.0.1-RC1
I have tried everything on this thread but the command line option and still no luck. I have home premium and do not have access to the local security policy. I had a PC with win 7 ultimate and did not have these problems once I disabled the home group.

I am out of ideas and web threads to try. I hope someone figures this out. I am also having the same problem with my wdtv live plus.
Thanks but could you clarify the lan manager authentication level - there are several options it could be but your image is cut off on the right and I can't tell which

HwyXingFrog Wrote:I'd been having this problem for quite a while, and couldn't find a solution like most others. I just took a screen shot of what changes I had to make to the Local Security Policy (just type that into the search box when you hit the Start button in Windows 7).

I'm thinking this should get added to the first post.

I've verified that it works perfectly allowing anonymous access to the shares.

Obviously, it isn't as secure as the defaults that Windows 7 has, but my network is pretty locked down, so I don't have concerns myself.
Mythbuntu Maverick 64-bit Mythtv & XBMC E6300, GT430, Antec Minuet 350, 2GB DDR-800 Ram, Gigabyte G-31M-E2SL, Yamaha RXv-1800 over HDMI @ 1080p to Sony Bravia 55" LCD 100HZ, Focal-JM Labs 826/806 speakers & Velodyne CHT-12R sub... "mmm, nice."
Nate,
All my pc's run homegroup. I read this thread all the way through.
I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it still relevant - (time has passed since you wrote it first (--> 10.1) ?
2. How much better is it to run the shares through SMB?
3. Will homegroup still work ok for the rest of the network ?

Thanks
I've just put xmbc on a new computer and had added a load of files via smb but today when i open xmbc to add some more things the other pc's arent there.

They are on the network when i open windows explorer on the same pc so why not in xmbc under the SMB when i've already done it that way once??

xmbc is also in the allowed programs on the firewall.

Any clues?
Just noticed this discussion. As a note I activated RDP (Windows Remote Desktop Protocol) and it required that I have a user name and password. So am thinking that each server workstation implementation of WIN 7 needs to have a username and password, in order for some network protocols to work correctly.

Speculation? maybe.

Also noticed that the SMB command which gives an internet IP address(this address is actually a LAN only address - so still not sure on this) has a password option in it.

pasteing note of what I found elsewhere. below shows me that I need to make sure of my exact SMB command when trying for access from the Internet. But still the command is for INSIDE the LAN below and not for OUTSIDE in the WAN (aka Internet). There are still settings for the router ports that have not been discussed in this thread. And I am still trying to find a good reference for router port settings and SMB.

No problem!

ATV2 + TimeCapsule 1Tb (ethernet) it works like a charm!

I use this method I found on the internet:

example

-----------

time capsule: annihilatrix

disk: killface

file sharing: on (use time capsule password)

airport guest access: read only

workgroup: friskydingo

wins server: <leave blank>

file paths:

music: annihilatrix/killface/audio/library

vids: annihilatrix/killface/video

xbmc:

video share: smb://friskydingo:<password>@10.0.1.1/killface/video

music share: smb://friskydingo:<password>@10.0.1.1/killface/music/library

Edit: password without <..>
For streaming over the internet someone else mentioned that I need a VPN connection with Hichachi or some other VPN tool for SMB. Because SMB does not work over the internet. Over the Internet requires UPnP (guess that is what Netflix, Hulu, Icefilms all use?).

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=97054

more experiments, but likely will be back at using UPnP for over internet streaming to my remote XBMC on Apple TV 2 at the vacation home. Or use FTP or CCXTREAM. Just not sure

Ended up useing FTP for streaming. seems to work fine.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO share folders over SMB using Windows 74