Minimal 9.04 with XBMC Upgrade to Karmic
I've tried searching for the answer to this but have not had any luck. To upgrade releases from Jaunty to Karmic the script do-release-upgrade wants to install 200 additional packages. things like Open office etc that we don't need for our minimal xbmc install.

Is their a way to upgrade to 9.10 karmic only upgrading the packages installed or do we have to do a fresh install?

xbmc@xbmc:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade --help

Usage: do-release-upgrade [options]

Options:
-h, --help show this help message and exit
-d, --devel-release Check if upgrading to the latest devel release is
possible
-p, --proposed Try upgrading to the latest release using the upgrader
from $distro-proposed
-m MODE, --mode=MODE Run in a special upgrade mode. Currently 'desktop' for
regular upgrades of a desktop system and 'server' for
server systems are supported.
-f FRONTEND, --frontend=FRONTEND
Run the specified frontend
-s, --sandbox Test upgrade with a sandbox aufs overlay

xbmc@xbmc:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade --mode=server

Do you want to start the upgrade?

7 packages are going to be removed. 200 new packages are going to be
installed. 452 packages are going to be upgraded.

The upgrade script wants to install everything under he sun...

Have i missed something on how to get from one distribution to the next without re-installing.
Why are wanna upgrade to karmic? Jaunty isn't working well? I use Intrepid, its working great and stable. If you don't have problem and all working well leave it and stick with Jaunty.
The main reason for wanting to upgrade is the better support for Wlan cards in kernel 2.6.31, specifically to do with running hostapd and running as a Wireless access point.

I would rather not have to backup and start again.
I would love an answer to this question as well. I've recently re-installed XBMCLive (Jaunty) on my Acer AspireRevo after a disastrous upgrade to Lucid, but I'm encountering problems such as the video and sound not working right after the thing is on for few hours. It behaves almost like a memory leak. Anyway, this cleared up on the previous install when I updated to Karmic. Can anyone explain how to update the Ubuntu Minimal install that comes with live to Karmic?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minimal 9.04 with XBMC Upgrade to Karmic0