a bit 'o linux help anyone? (partial upgrade problems)
this probably belongs in off topic so feel free to shuffle it over there if so...

I am having a problem with system updates on karmic9.10. as of a couple weeks ago every time i go to update anything i get the partial upgrade warning.

the two updates i currently have in the hopper are for:
linux-libc-dev 2.6.31.16.29
libnautilus-extension3 1:2.28.1-0ubuntu3

when i run apt from cli i get the following notice:

The following packages have been kept back:
linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic sreadahead xbmc
xbmc-skin-confluence xbmc-skin-pm3-hd xbmc-web-pm3

which im sure has something to do with whats going on, but i cant really find anything about it anywhere... anyone able to point me in the correct direction for this problem?

sources.list also does not have the same information as synaptics manager.... the xbmc repositories are located in synaptics and not in sources.list (dunno if that even matters)
anyone?
harbingerofdoom Wrote:anyone?

Well, if your xbmc.list is the right one for karmic, you might try doing 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'. Or you could use Synaptic to visually check what's going on.
Ubuntu 9.10 - XBMC 9.11 Beta
Just as an aside, I would not recommend Karmic for XBMC unless there is a specific reason to upgrade. There are still a number of odd bugs (several concerning GRUB2) with Karmic. If you don't have to upgrade, I would not.
sinarquia Wrote:Well, if your xbmc.list is the right one for karmic, you might try doing 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'. Or you could use Synaptic to visually check what's going on.

uh.. i did use synaptic... thats whats telling me to do a partial upgrade.

GJones Wrote:Just as an aside, I would not recommend Karmic for XBMC unless there is a specific reason to upgrade. There are still a number of odd bugs (several concerning GRUB2) with Karmic. If you don't have to upgrade, I would not.
didnt do an upgrade... installed karmic as a fresh install.

there are quite a few posts on the subject at ubuntu's forums with little to no information beyond other people having similar but not identical problems.
and no real answers that i can find.
only reason i posted anything here was the cli telling me xbmc is being held back.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
a bit 'o linux help anyone? (partial upgrade problems)0