[Live] How can I implement Gigabit Lan Driver?
Hi everybody!Big Grin

After messing around with win7 and xbmc and not getting 1080p stutterfree, I tried the installation on SD Card/USB with XBMC Live 9.11beta1.

Watching Videos is working flawlessly now, thanks to the devs...!!!Nod

But within the installation process, my ethernet card was´nt installed, and afterwards I wasnt able to use netbased content.Sad

The driver for the Atheros ar8131 seems to be not included. I ve found the linux driver package as tar.gz and unpacked it to a usb stick. I tried to set it up within the installation progress of LIVE, but the pendrive/driver couldnt be recognised.Blush

So what am I doing wrong, or how can I install the driver afterwards?
Unfortunately Im a totally linux noob, but nevertheless I have found a way to open the console in xbmc...

But thats all I can do now, I dont even know how to change to the right usb-directory with the console, please help...!Wink

Best regards
Hi

I'm encountering the same problem with my Atheros AR8131 LAN chipset HTPC and XBMC Live 9.11beta1. After a lot of research I thought I had cracked it, but I still can't get eth0 up so maybe my problem is hardware based.

I will post what I did in the hope it might help you. Also if anyone else out there has knowledge of this maybe they can point to anything I am doing wrong. I am a noob when it comes to Linux and XBMC.

First I compiled XBMC Live to my USB stick from a laptop to run on my HTPC. My HTPC has no CD/DVD drive so I had to do this on another computer.

I found the drivers difficult to find as the manufacturers website appears offline: http://partner.atheros.com/Drivers.aspx. So I found the drivers from someone else who had put them up here: http://hbcapps.com/miight/crap/AR81Famil....10.tar.gz.

The next trick is to get the driver onto your USB stick which I did by booting up my laptop with XBMC and FTPing on port 22 (using FileZilla) from another PC to upload the driver to the 'home' folder. I'm sure there are other ways of doing this.

I then plugged in the USB stick into my HTPC and booted up XBMC in safe mode. Log in with u/p xbmc/xbmc and run the following commands (comments with a /):

mkdir ar81

/ this creates a folder off 'home' to store the unpacked driver.

tar zxvf AR81Family-linux-v1.0.0.10.tar.gz -C ar81

/ this unpacks the driver to that folder. I get an error at the end indicating a fault with the decompression, but according to other people this is normal.

cd ar81/src

/ navigate to the unpacked src folder.

sudo apt-get install make

/ installs the make command which is required.

uname -r

/ shows the build number which is needed for the linux headers package. My build is 2.6.28-11-generic.

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-'uname -r'

e.g. sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic

/ installs linux headers package.

make

/ builds the driver from the package.

sudo insmod atl1e.ko

/ installs the driver.

ifconfig eth0 up

/ brings up eth0

In theory you should now have network. Let me know if that works for you.

Cheers
I've been playing a bit more with this.

It turns out that XBMC Live 9.11beta1 already has the Atheros AR8131 driver. On my hardware the LAN is on Eth1, not Eth0 hence the problem I was encountering.

Now all working, well pleased Big Grin
Hi, thanks for your answer.

How is it possible, that my hardware cant be found? Its activated in bios!
Did you recognize any issues with that whithin the LIVE setupHuh
In my case the setup paused with a message, that no Ethernethardware is found...

Best regards...
Hmmm. The difference might be because I ran the setup from a bootable CD to a USB stick on another PC as my HTPC has no CD/DVD drive.

The installation to USB stick went fine on my other PC (much older hardware) and then I just plugged in the USB stick into my HTPC and it booted fine.

All I needed to do in the end was edit the interfaces XML file to change eth0 to eth1.

If you have access to an older PC, give that a try.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Live] How can I implement Gigabit Lan Driver?0