do I need XBMC?
Quote:stream video from the net or local servers

It depends on what you mean by this. If you plan to watch Netflix or Hulu, you will have to use Playon, which is a separate commercial product that retails for around $40. It's the only thing I've found so far that enables Netflix and Hulu streaming in XBMC.
Personally I would hand on heart recomend XBMC as your HTPC software. I tried, I think every bit of software for the PC.

I found a program called Team Mediaportal which I thought was excellent to say the least, and I did not think that I would find a better program.

I came across XBMC by accident, I had always thought that it was for the Xbox only so was surprised to see that it was available for the PC.

I downloaded, gave it a try and trust me, I removed the Team Mediaportal software from my system and now use XBMC as standard.

The program itself is very stable I think and the skins are top notch. The plugins generally work, and the quality of the plug ins are excellent.

Sadly if you are in the UK, only one channel is supported which is the BBC, but the quality of the picture is excellent and far superior than that of the actuall BBC website.

So if you do not mind using 2 different bits of software.

XBMC is certainly one program that you do need.
I would definitely "bother" with XBMC - it's a truly amazing software. And I'm pretty stunned by the work the skinners are doing. There's a lot of cool skins and should match everyones preferences ^^

I guess it all comes down to the fact whether you'd want to have a sweet ass interface or if you can do just fine with a regular desktop Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
do I need XBMC?0