• 3(current)
.MKV Subtitles not displaying on XBMC
elupus Wrote:When mkv becomes more popular Smile, it's just about the defacto format nowadays.

I just want parity in playback with what I get on my original DVD or BD version prior to converting it to MKV.

I shouldn't have to eliminate the english soundtrack on some films, plus turn on the subtitle function just to get the forced track to play in XBMC.

Perhaps when someone more influential than myself gets bitten by this problem than we can get a fix in the works. Nod

Ciao!
I'd love to see support for forced subs in FFmpeg/XBMC as well. Like voip-ninja, I've got a bunch of files with forced subs in them. I've been ripping all of my Blu-ray discs with tsmuxer and using m2ts containers with the audio and PGS sub tracks I'm interested in. I'm seeing the same behavior as described earlier in this thread. If I turn English subs on, for example, I get both the normal subs for all dialog in addition to the "forced" subs usually containing foreign or "alien" language.

I just got my Avatar Blu-ray and was going to rip it, but without support for forced subs I guess I'll just have to find another way to figure out what the Na'vi are saying :-)

Glad to see support for PGS though. One step at a time I suppose...
i have several xbmc setups running here

when i put my blurays on my NAS with makemkv i can play the subs good on all windows versions (pretty recent versions, i use the build from phil65 with AEON)
but on my MAIN set the revo 3600 9.11 LIVE i dont get the subs

how do i solve this?
the xbmc nightly build support pgs in mkv so you could just turn in into an mkv and you could just take out all the subtitles except the navi subtitles for example with mkv tool nix
Sorry, i've got a bit confused by this. I understand ffmpeg doesn't yet support forced subs, but the process i've been going through with my encoding is to use Handbrake, set it to do a 'Foreign Audio Search' (looks for both any subs that are forced, and any sub tracks that exist for <10% of the film length) as the 1st sub track, set to default, and then standard English subs as the second sub track. This *seems* to work fine (With the additional bonus that if FAS doesn't find any short or forced subs it just doesn't exist, rather than encoding an entirely empty sub track) in that I get 2 sub tracks and in players such as VLC the 'Default' flag on the FAS track causes it to get selected automatically.

However in XBMC I still have to manually turn on subs and select the right track. Does XBMC ignore the default flag, or interpret it differently in that it is simply the first sub track to be selected when you turn them on as opposed to turning them on by default *and* selecting that track, or what?

Thanks in advance
it simply doesn't respect the default track and selects the first in the list.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Yes, specific format anomalies not withstanding (I really hate it when people casually recommend re-encoding or changing format on something because it works in one format or container and not another one, I have 200 BD rips, you know how long that takes to re-do!!!!!Huh) Oo There are really two things going on that are "broken" here;

1. forced flag is not being exposed to XBMC by the decoder. This can only be fixed by the ffdshow folks.

2. XBMC doesn't understand default track flag either, I'm not sure if this is a separate issue or related to issue 1.

It would really be nice if these could somehow be fixed. It's not nice to be watching a movie such as the previously mentioned Kill Bill and have to rewind the movie, turn the subs back on so that you don't catch all of that dialogue that is supposed to show up automatically.
1) Substitute ffdshow with ffmpeg Smile

2) Separate issue, the default flag is already exposed from ffmpeg so we should be able to supported.. So patch will be accepted if somebody steps up and writes a reasonable one.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

elupus Wrote:1) Substitute ffdshow with ffmpeg Smile

2) Separate issue, the default flag is already exposed from ffmpeg so we should be able to supported.. So patch will be accepted if somebody steps up and writes a reasonable one.

Not much motivation without item 1 being fixed. My programming days are behind me, I could probably do a patch but it's really ffmpeg I want to see get fixed 1st.
Exclamation 
What about all this discussion? Has this bug ( It IS a bug, if this is really a matroska feature ) report been opened at the FFMpeg tracker yet?

I just don't think a non-programmer could write down this report in such a manner that could get ffmpeg developers attention to the matter.

Shouldn't a xbmc developer open this ticket at ffmpeg issue tracker ?

I've been fighting all day with this problem, and it really is annoying... I was trying to create the Na'vi subtitle layer with the forced flag on, but guess what?!?!!

I also confirm about the subtitle default flag no being honoured by xbmc, is there any open ticket for this matter yet? Any progress?

Keep up the GREAT work! Big Grin

BTW, I have xbmc running over Fedora 11 ( will change to F13 next week )
elepus had said he was going to open a bug report with the ffmpeg guys but not sure it's happened yet.
i saw elupus made some changes so now the forced and default flags should be exposed to xbmc. i'm wondering how close are to having xbmc play forced subs even with subtitles turned off now. has anyone tested a recent build?

specifically r30698 and r30699.
This is interesting news. I just scooped up a dirt cheap Aspire Revo 1600 to start testing with so I will see if I can test this out in the next week or two.
furii Wrote:i saw elupus made some changes so now the forced and default flags should be exposed to xbmc. i'm wondering how close are to having xbmc play forced subs even with subtitles turned off now. has anyone tested a recent build?

specifically r30698 and r30699.

hi,
has anyone tested this forced sub issue?
which build is to prefer?
m0bbed Wrote:hi,
has anyone tested this forced sub issue?
which build is to prefer?

The new nightly build http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/ will include those changesets (I think). Pick it up and test it for yourself.

UPDATE - just tested and doesn't work for me in the latest nightly build (r30898).
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
.MKV Subtitles not displaying on XBMC0