• 4(current)
.MKV Subtitles not displaying on XBMC
hmm,
then we have to wait some more nightly builds...
yea, i didn't think just those two changes would be enough to enable it. i would assume some changes would need to be made to the subtitle display engine or something. just because xbmc now knows there are forced subs available doesn't necessarily mean that it knows to display them. or that's my thinking anyway, a dev would have to pipe in on the matter.
support for displaying the subs is not a problem.
I agree, XBMC seems to do fine displaying forced sub tracks with other media files. As soon as the forced flag is properly exposed by the decoder I would imagine they will play just fine.
Hi ya... I see ticket #9417 as the ticket for this issue.
r30698's commit description doesn't mention Ticket 9417. (r30699 is related, but specifically for DVD)

Any way... any progress? Is it working?
msilveira Wrote:Hi ya... I see ticket #9417 as the ticket for this issue.
r30698's commit description doesn't mention Ticket 9417. (r30699 is related, but specifically for DVD)

Any way... any progress? Is it working?

Nope.
WARNING: not for the faint of heart.

I actually use makemkvcon, then use HandBrakeCLI to re-encode just the video portion and then mkvmerge to put the video (from HandBrakeCLI's output) back with the pristine audio and subtitles. The net result is a significantly reduced file size with very little visual degradation (High Profile, good CRF setting), perfect audio and all subtitles. All of that happens in a script.

For sources with lots of additional language audio tracks (not subtitles), I have a separate script that only pulls the desired audio tracks as well. Keep in mind I am using MKV merge so the audio tracks are not re-encoded in any way.
This is good information, and I have looked into burning the forced subs directly into the video stream as you mention, but even a tiny degradation in PQ or audio quality is not worth the trade off for myself and a lot of other folks.

The better solution is that more players are able to process forced subtitles properly.
Has this problem been sorted yet ? Thanks
BluRay rips with makemkvcon on Linux did not show subs on the official stable release, but after installing the latest SVN build (Dharma), all goes well for me.
meridius Wrote:Has this problem been sorted yet ? Thanks
If you are referring to xbmc recognising 'forced' subs, then no - not as far as I'm aware.

Subs always worked, xbmc though is ignoring the forced/priority field for streams in MKV files.
This is the one thing I do not like about xbmc, is there a way of gettin forced subs to work.

How s about putting all the forced subs on track 1 and enabling the subs to on, then all the English subs on track 2. The only problem with this is u would need to create a set of blank subs for the first track for films that don't have forced subs.

Can this be done so

movie with forced subs
track 1 forced English sub
track 2 English sub

movie with no forced subs
track 1 sub but with no text (blank)
track 2 English subs

so basicly xbmc will play subs all the time but the movies that have no forced subs would just play a blank text free subtitle and if u want subs on select track 2. Movies with a forced track would play track 1 for none speacking parts
ok the movie and track 2 would still have the English full subs

would this work ? This means u would need to change all your films but it might be the only solution ?

Cheers
Irrespective of what option you choose at the moment - remuxes of all your files with subtitles would need to be done. A long drawn out process. Thankfully I only need the forced subs and in the past remux only those titles where there was non-english speaking parts. This allows me to set the global default subtitle setting in xbmc to disable, enabling only those movies which require the subtitle.

Issue seems to be ffmpeg related and until a fix is committed in their code, nothing will change in xbmc.
thanks, are the programers of ffmpeg working on a fix ?
previous page 1st post - tells you as much as I know.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
.MKV Subtitles not displaying on XBMC0