After editing xorg.conf - on reboot - it becomes blank ?
sorry for what is probably a noob question

I'm trying to get refresh rates to change - and its been recommended to me to add to the section "Screen" the following elements

Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling=Native"

I have been doing this by going into XBMC - exiting - then loging into Linux

then:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf and then adding those above lines

but on saving the file and on reboot

instead of going into XBMC - I get a Linux login screen

after logging in and executing sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

the file is completely blank - no text at all

performing sudo nvidia-xconfig gets the default xorg back and I'm back in operation

but I don't understand why on every reboot xorg.conf is loosing all of its text ?

thanks for any help, Buckster
any ideas anyone please ? I feel I'm so close to getting auto-refresh working yet so far away

appologises if its a noddy question and I'm missing something obvious
Not sure what you are doing, but you can let nvidia-xconfig set those options you need for you. See the output of: "nvidia-xconfig -A"
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Clumsy - thanks - I've been trying to add the following lines manually (to enable auto-refresh rate to work) -by using "nano" and editing xorg.conf

Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling=Native"
No expert here, just another chump with a problem....

Are you running Live off a USB, or CD? You would need to edit these files on the drive themselves for it to hold.. Certainly for the CD, not sure on USB...

Mike
thanks Mike

its an installation, I burnt the Live ISO onto a USB memory stick ... then installed from that onto another memory stick - if that makes sense
Again not an expert here.. Just guessing really.... Does it treat the USB drive as an HD, or just use it to load everything into virtual memory drive... Would require some reading/testing to confirm. Hopefully someone with some know how can confirm.

On another note, you may want to try pico instead of nano..

sudo pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf

ctrl+o to save
ctrl+x to exit

Open it again to confirm changes are saved, then try a reboot...

Mike

Buckster Wrote:thanks Mike

its an installation, I burnt the Live ISO onto a USB memory stick ... then installed from that onto another memory stick - if that makes sense
thanks Mike - will try that later -the annoying thing is when I use sudo nano to edit the file I'm sure its saving it ....

(1) boot into XBMC, exit XBMC
(2) sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf -perform changes, save, exit
(3) re-open /etc/X11/xorg.conf - and changes are there - and saved - so all ok so far
(4) reboot, and now rather than going into XBMC, it just goes into Ubuntu login screen
(5) login ... nano ..... and xorg.conf now is completly blank (why ?)
(6) sudo nvidia-xconfig - this resets xorg.conf
(7) XBMC suddenly opens (must be attempting to retry to open in the background)

so whats making xorg.conf go blank ?

if anyone knows another way of getting auto-refresh rate change to work without editing xorg.conf - please let me know Smile works fine in windows, but in Linux its fixed at 50hz
Option "DynamicTwinView" "false" is listed under Section "Device" section on my working xorg.conf.
Try this... sudo nano your xorg, delete the entire file and paste this xorg.conf in its place, save, exit, reboot. That is working at 1080p 60hz perfectly here.
WORKED IT OUT - hoorah

did the changes as per that suggested, but apparently on boot - Ubuntu copies a new-auto-detected xorg.conf over the old one (to ensure boot is successful perhaps)

there are more clever ways to stop this from happening

but I decided on the crude method - just make xorg.conf read only Smile

sudo nano chmod -rw /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and finally I have 24p working - very pleased

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
After editing xorg.conf - on reboot - it becomes blank ?0