Audio amp That can be controlled from my computer
Question 
Dear All,

I am searching for a new audio amplifier, and would like to be able to fully control it from my computer.
I am currently using eventghost, but I could use something else if it's required.
I need to be able to control the volume level of the amp, switch it on/off, choose the input source.

Concerning the power and channels, a 2.1 system with 50/75w power should be enough. but the most important thing for me is to be able to control it from the computer.

Do you Know such a product ?
Thanks to all XBMC contributors, devs, skinners, scripters, ... It's really an amazing piece of software.
What about an IR transmitter?
the_alien Wrote:What about an IR transmitter?

I have already tried this option, and it's not reliable. I woud like a reliable wired solution to make them speak together ...
Thanks to all XBMC contributors, devs, skinners, scripters, ... It's really an amazing piece of software.
miljbee Wrote:I have already tried this option, and it's not reliable. I woud like a reliable wired solution to make them speak together ...

hummm I'm curious why you'd want to do this at all...

Why not have your remote control the amp AND the PC, instead of your remote controlling the PC which in turn controls the amp?

My Onkyo receiver's remote manages to control the PC and the amp with one remote... I am sure most others will too.

Unless you're thinking of using the PC to switch on and off the amp whilst you're away!

Can you explain what you're hoping to achieve... just in case it can be solved in a simpler way?
@miljbee - I think I am trying to do something similar to what you are looking for. My problem is that my receiver and PC are located in a cabinet which does not have line of site IR capability from my seating area. I would like to be able to turn on and off, select the proper input, mute on and off, adjust volume ....
I have a DENON 3805 receiver which I have been using with EVENTGHOST on Windows for a few years and it works well. I have an X10 based RF remote control for the PC, which communicates with EVENTGHOST and send the proper commands to the receiver over a USB attached RS232 connection.

My challange now, is that I am tired of all the codec and playback problems that I have on Windows XP/Vista/7 with WMC and I am making the switch to Ubuntu based XBMC solution. The performance of video playback is much better this way, but I have not yet found a complete solution on how to control the DENON receiver on Ubuntu. I can partially load EVENTGHOST through the use of WINE, but it really doesnt work properly.
I found a perl script that someone wrote to control the DENON here

http://www.jwz.org/hacks/marginal.html

Quote:tuner This script provides remote control of Denon tuners (e.g., Denon AVR-2805 and similar) via the serial port. It speaks the AVR/AVC control protocol language, and lets me, among other things, change the volume on my stereo by typing things like "tuner volume=-30".
but I have not yet figured out the best way to glue this all together

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio amp That can be controlled from my computer0