ComSkip commercial skipping
hello
i use my pc to record tv shows with the hauppauge tv card pvr-350 and then xbmc to watch them. :thumbsup:
i tried out a commercial skipping tool: comskip
and it produces really good skipping files.
is there a chance to get the player to use the resulting text file to skip the marked frames?
this would be a really great function...

b.t.w the mplayer already supports a feature called edit decision list (edl)
which is basically what i'm asking.
only automatic using of the edl files would be needed if one is existing with the same file name as the movie that is actually played.
would that be possible?
i also use comskip for commecial break marking for my recorded tv shows.

any chance this could work it's way into mplayer functionality.

the way i've seen it implemented before is that the skip forward button jumps to the comskip marker.

(unless i've missed in the docs that it's been done already)

:-)
hi!

i'm watching the tv shows i recorded with gbpvr on the pc with xbmc.

is it possible to add support for commercial skipping software, like comskip (http://mk.kaashoek.com/comskip/)?

comskip generates a .txt file with timings of commercials, so software like gbpvr and sage tv can use this to skip ahead.
there is support for the sort of commercial skipping mythtv. i am unsure what sort of commerical skipping it uses but if simular check the python script that supports commercial skipping to see how it is implimented.

i believe a portion of it was implimented in mplayer but am unsure if it is mythtv specific or a generic system that can be handed whatever commercial points the scripter desires.

worth some investigation by someone interested in implimenting comskip support
hi,

i recently saw this product called comskip and its an excellent commercial detection software. i think it'll be great if xbmc can utilize the underneath engine of comskip in order to skip the commercials coz one of the free product gb-pvr already implements it and it performs pretty good.

already lot of people record tv shows using tivo or other methods so it'll be handy to have such kind of commercial skipping feature.

thanks,
i personally never found any commercials in the tv series i download, why a function that skips commercials? press the green aero buttons on the remote and you skip right true
voyager Wrote:i personally never found any commercials in the tv series i download, why a function that skips commercials? press the green aero buttons on the remote and you skip right true

I use XBMC to watch tv shows recorded with GBPVR (http://www.gbpvr.com ).
They sometimes contain commercials, and I prefer automatic skipping to manual skipping.
It may be possible though within the confines of mplayers feature set. Read this thread for more info.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=21890

Assuming it works, you would need to make sure that the comskip txt file matches mplayer edl format.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Recently, the 'edl' functionality in mplayer.dll was enabled.

I just submitted a patch that picks up the '.edl' file with the same name of the movie.
ComSkip uses a different standard though (with .txt files I think)? Huh
FYI; MediaPortal recently implemented ComSkip support in their SVN
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Gamester17 Wrote:ComSkip uses a different standard though (with .txt files I think)? Huh
FYI; MediaPortal recently implemented ComSkip support in their SVN

Put output_edl=1 in comskip.ini and you get an edl file you can use with XBMC.
Question 
DrDDT Wrote:Put output_edl=1 in comskip.ini and you get an edl file you can use with XBMC.
Really? Can you 'hack' a patch for XBMC so that end-users do not need to do that and still use ComSkip?
Gamester17 Wrote:Really? Can you 'hack' a patch for XBMC so that end-users do not need to do that and still use ComSkip?

They can still use comskip, but have to edit their comskip.ini just once to output .edl files. I think comskip users should be smart enough to do that.

The .edl file is the format supported by mplayer, so to use the 'standard' comskip output, xbmc would have to read it, convert it to .edl and feed it to mplayer.
Lightbulb 
...but those who already have loads of existing ComSkip files, they would have to re-do them all?

Doh! Not very user-fiendly Sad then yes it be best if XBMC converted it and feed it to MPlayer Rolleyes
Gamester17 Wrote:...but those who already have loads of existing ComSkip files, they would have to re-do them all?

Doh! Not very user-fiendly Sad then yes it be best if XBMC converted it and feed it to MPlayer Rolleyes

They can use the following upgrade command to add .edl support for comskip ini file in the current directory:

for %f in ( comskip*.ini ) do echo output_edl=1 >> %f

It's not that hard. Nerd

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ComSkip commercial skipping0