[LIVE] How to boot directly without select screen?
What can i do to boo my xbmc live (USB) directly with Nvidia graphics and avoid selection screen?

THANKS!

P.D: Sorry, i used the search but i haven't find today. I remember read about it but i don't find.
OK, WIKI KNOWS HOW TO DO IT.

How do I skip the boot menu and have XBMC Live boot automatically?

To autoboot on the USB version, open syslinux.cfg from the USB Stick, move

default x

to the top of the file and choose x as the number you want to boot (1 is nvidia, 2 is ATI/AMD, 3 is Intel), remove the # from the line containing "timeout" and choose a timeout in seconds, ie 1.
Or just don't install grub, and set the XBMC partition to be bootable.
Question 
javiertoti Wrote:OK, WIKI KNOWS HOW TO DO IT.

How do I skip the boot menu and have XBMC Live boot automatically?

To autoboot on the USB version, open syslinux.cfg from the USB Stick, move

default x

to the top of the file and choose x as the number you want to boot (1 is nvidia, 2 is ATI/AMD, 3 is Intel), remove the # from the line containing "timeout" and choose a timeout in seconds, ie 1.

I found this on the wiki but I don't understand how to do it. I opened up syslinux.cfg but I couldn't find "default x" or work out how to move it to the top... has something changed in the code?
Code:
sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
Then change
default 0
to
default 1
Press THANK USER if I Help
Question 
AuXBoX Wrote:
Code:
sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
Then change
default 0
to
default 1

Thanks for the reply AuXboX. I changed it to default 1 but its still booting to the "install to your hard drive" screen rather than into xbmc. I'm a little confused. Are the instructions from the wiki wrong? Is your suggestion an alternative to the wiki instructions?
Sounds like you havent installed xbmc live to the usb. You have just got the installer on the USB and booting with that.
Right, thanks. Yeah I ended up putting the installer onto the USB drive with unetbootin-windows-471.exe because every time i ran it off the CD and tried to install it onto my hard drive the only option it was giving me was to install to my hard drive... not to the USB drive.

I assumed that using unetbootin-windows-471.exe would do a proper install. Back to the drawing board I guess.
Ok so now use the cd to install, make sure you have the USB as the first boot device in the bios settings.
Install to hard drive and it will install onto the usb
Right, thanks for that. That all makes sense.

Admittedly though I'm a little hesitant because I don't want to accidentally wipe my hard drive. Is it possible to simply edit one of the files on the USB installer that I've got or should I just bite the bullet and make an image of my hard-drive?

Update: So I bit the bullet and had no trouble at all. It did ask me if I wanted to install to my USB or Hardrive but this was about 10 minutes into the process. Hopefully I can work things out from here. Thanks AuXBoX.
Now that I've done the proper install onto the USB drive I'm not able to open the USB in windows explorer to change the syslinux.cfg files and so on. Is this normal? I tried using the command prompt buy didn't have any luck with this.
michael7oliver Wrote:Now that I've done the proper install onto the USB drive I'm not able to open the USB in windows explorer to change the syslinux.cfg files and so on. Is this normal? I tried using the command prompt buy didn't have any luck with this.

so is the menu still coming up?

Your options are:
1. Disconnect all other hard drives before doing the installation and then connect up after and the menu won't pop up.
2. I'm not too familiar with the syslink.cfg but i'm pretty sure this is done to the installation iso file. So use an iso editor in windows and edit that file then install it.

The easiest i think for you would be the first option.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I believe the menu issue is now resolved.

I had separate issues, such as local hard-drives not mounting by default (I have a 1 TB internal hard-drive). I solved this previously by accessing the USB drive files and editing some of them with a text editor. Now (since doing the proper install) I seem to be unable to access the contents of the USB drive as I'm being prompted that my only option is to format the drive.

I'll start searching the forums for solutions rather than take up any more of your time... I tend to get a bit lazy when one solution is fixed by posting my following one straight away with out looking for it first Smile
Okay, had a look at this tonight and figured out the ALT + CTRL + F3 to access the system files. All sorted now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] How to boot directly without select screen?0