No internet connection, no hard drive
Hi people,

I've recently installed xmbc live on a dedicated media pc in my living room. The install went fine, my trouble is now configuring everything so I can get my internet connection working, the correct IP so I can filezilla stuff to xbmc, and enabling xbmc to see my second hard drive with all my media that I have in the computer.

Specifically though, this is down to the fact that I am very new to linux and xbmc live so I haven't got a clue as to how I can edit the files to enable me to do these things.

I know I have to edit the grub/menu.lst file to get it to recognise other hard drives but I have no clue how to access this. I did try pressing esc when booting up and editing the command line to remove 'nodiskmount' which worked great but of course you would have to do that each time you switch on the machine.

Also I have a Belkin Wireless G+ card which I need to get working, should this be detected and configured automatically by xbmc or do I have to do something?

Thanks
To access the stuff on your second harddrive, you don't have to edit any grub files.

Your second harddrive is probably already detected, and just need to be mounted. (Think assigned to a driver letter like D:, in windows terms.)

To find out the name of the drive type this and press tab instead of return:
Code:
ls /dev/sd
This should display all you harddrives. /dev/sda,b,c are your harddrives and the numbers are the partitions on those drives. E.g. /dev/sdb3 is the third partition on the second drive.

To mount it you first need to create an empty folder somewhere:
Code:
mkdir ~/harddrive
Then do the acctual mount:
Code:
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 ~/harddrive

Now you should be able to access it in xbmc.

If it works as expected, you can make it permanent by editing the file /etc/fstab.

That's all the time I have right now. Good luck!
Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure where abouts I am supposed to type that stuff though, I'm assuming the command line but how can I access the command line once in xbmc or do I just have to do at the begining before xbmc boots up?

I am completely new to linux so I'm learning this stuff but pretty slowly so any help is much appreciated.

Cheers
You should be able to access a terminal by pressing CTRL-ALT-F1.
To return to xbmc press CTRL-ALT-F7.
Ctrl alt F1 doesn't seem to work for me?

When I press Ctrl Alt F7 I get this though

Code:
* Restarting OpenBSD Secure Shell Server sshd

Any ideas? What that all means?

Thanks
scratch that last post, I just restarted and now I can get in to the terminal ok with Ctrl Alt F1

Thanks
1)
Quote:Ctrl alt F1 doesn't seem to work for me?
Well, try F2...it should work.

2)
If you are using the live 9.11 beta you can get command line by exiting xbmc

3)
or you can select safe mode in boot menu

But I would recommend a wired network and dynamic IP during setup. You can then easiliy config over ssh.
If you need wifi I recommend a full ubuntu desktop with wifi tools until you have learned more linux.
Thanks vikjon0,

Just out of curisoity do you have any references you could give me for setting up wireless cards in linux or generaly just well recommended linux websites? I will need this at some point I think so may as well start now. I know I'll come to terms with all this, its just because I'm new to linux I know very little right now.

Thanks
Ok guys, nearly there.

I've got up to the part where I need to now edit the /etc/fstab file.

I've found this post http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61698&page=2 which has give me an idea but this is more about setting up a partition. I've given it a try anyway but something is not right. After refreshing XBMC I'm not seeing my media hard drive.

Also, to save the file do I just exit out of it?

Thanks
I've now solved mounting my hard drive, I found this for anyone else who is stuck http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=454780.

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No internet connection, no hard drive0