Putting skin against skin...
No, my post has nothing to do with that... ...get your mind outta there.

Wink

What I would LOVE to see is a post where someone provided screenshots of each 'approved' skin side by side, showing the Main Menus, as well as the different variations of Music, Movies, etc., so that each and every skin was represented in a similar light. Here's why. I have looked at PM3.HD, Confluence, Mediastream (and Redux), Aero and - just now - Alaska, and I gotta tell you, I LOVE things about every one of them.

HOWEVER, there are certain things I'm looking for - as I'm sure others are as well - for my own personal system, and I would personally love it if I didn't have to download and install each and every one to find them out.

For example, I LOVE Aeon's Main Menu, and the ability to have full-color, randomly changing backgrounds for each of the different menu items (movie, music and tv show fanart, ftw!) however, I find that I like Mediastream's approach to displaying the movie information a little nicer than the 'cover flow/flat' setting on Aeon that I use. Unfortunately, I had to trifle back and forth with each to figure that out, wheras I might not have had such a tough time of doing it, had I had the screenshots to compare to all in one place.

I have just - JUST - installed Alaska, and think it's now one of my favourites... ...and I WISH I had seen a comparison ahead of now, as I've been playing with Aeon for weeks and weeks... ...and there's probably another skin out there just waiting for me... I can feel it.

Nod

So, anyway. I guess what I'm asking for is this. I know there is no way that the XBMC Main page could possibly 'keep up' with every skin and every submission, so is there a way we can - as a community - put up a sticky or something in the Skinning section that would allow all of our EXPERT SKIN DEVELOPERS to showcase their craft? If we setup a request/guideline post, showing what we hope to see, I think everybody would be pretty keen to read it, and it would definitely bring more popularity to some skins which may not get as much fame as others.

Sorry for the rant/giant wall o' text post. I just LOVE this program, and would LOVE to see an 'art gallery' of everything available, if it can be done.

WHO'S WITH ME!?

Laugh
like this? http://xbmc.org/skins/
MPauley73 Wrote:like this? http://xbmc.org/skins/

Yes and no. There are many, many skins that aren't represented. I'd wager that there are probably more than a few skin variations which are not posted. I'm looking for a "United Nations" per se, a place with some posting guidelines and where every skin available can be immediately seen, evaluated, and downloaded if liked.

Screenshots, download links, update plans and progress, everthing. One place. My dream.
Ooh you mean this...
http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=67
You know, your trolling really only helps solidify my point.

Laugh

If you visit many of the threads, you'll note that they actually have very few (if any) screenshots (Alaska, for example) which showcase the awesome power of each skin. What I'm looking for is a common thread - just one - where ALL of the skins reside. I realize that all of the skinners and developers here aren't getting paid to do this, and I know that out here in RL, there aren't that many companies which subscribe to 'perfect' record keeping, but I think that with a bit of work, the community here could be a bit different.
Screenshots are just teasers, to really get the feel of a skin, download and test it on your xbmc system
What about a functionality matrix.

One I can think of is Mouse support.

What other functions would be good to know that a skin supports.

I like the Alaska skin but there is no Mouse support.

I have been trying out all of the different skins to see what I like the best and what functionality they have. It would be nice to have some sort of matrix.

Currently I am using XBMC on my primary machine so I need mouse support but in the future I plan on setting up a dedicated HTPC running XBMC with a remote.
If you write up a nice comparison I'll gladly post it Smile
No,it`s nice.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Putting skin against skin...0