Beta2: Failed to Initialize Audio Device
I have the exact same problem, with the official 9.11 camelot, on an ASRock 330. Is this issue fixed at all in the daily builds?
Hi!

I have this same problem. It started today, when I installed the latest build from henningpingel repo.

It used to work, when I started playing a Video and it said that "Failed to initialize Audio Device". Then I went back to my video files folder and waited a bit and restarted the video. Then it started playing correctly.

In this build this trick does not work anymore! Sad

I've tried to fix this with no luck. Analog playis fine.

I have GF 9400GT and Audio is going thru this device with HDMI to my receiver.
FIXED!

Here is the link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810

Upgrade your ALSA and you are done!
Just to let you know that I have the exact same issue and found an alternative way of fixing it involving three steps

System
Acer Aspire Revo R3610
Intel Atom Dual Core N330
2GB RAM, 250GB HDD
GeForce 9400 ION

Operating System
Ubuntu 10.0.4 (lynx)

XBMC
XBMC 9.11 (Camelot)

Fault
The issue is a conflict between ALSA & PulseAudio sound drivers. (alsamixergui was showing a single pulseaudio interface). This causes XBMC to report the audio device being busy.

My fix was the following: -
  1. sudo apt-get autoremove paulseaudio.
  2. Reboot computer.
  3. Open XBMC and go to the audio settings. The Audio out and Passthrough maybe be identified as "Pulse:", so change them to IEC958.
  4. Open a video with DTS or AC3 audio and enjoy sweet digital surround straight away.
Wow, this worked great! Thank you very much for the quick and easy fix Localmanmark!

I always wondered why I needed alsa & pulseaudio both installed. I'm a Linux Noob, but slowly learning as I read the forums and man pages.

P.S. I Have the ASRock Ion box, and I needed to set the XBMC audio settings to "hdmi" for it to work for me, setting it to IEC958 didn't work for me. Is this due to differences between the Acer and ASRock motherboards? What is IEC958, the audio hardware chipset?

Thanks again!
jmayers5,

"IEC958" is what the alsamixer calls either an optical audio connection or digital coaxial connection. If you want to use your HDMI connection to carry video AND audio then you will want to select "hdmi" (as you have done). Some people may want to send video to their monitor/TV but send the audio to a surround sound receiver that doesn't have any HDMI inputs, so they do that via an optical or coxial connection. These people will select "IEC958."

I hope that answers your question Wink

-Bahndit

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Beta2: Failed to Initialize Audio Device0