ZOTAC Mag
Hi Guys,

Is anyone using this box yet for Ubuntu + XBMC - looking at the possibility of getting this for my parents media centre setup, I'm going to be setting up myself and then just handing it over to them.

Has anyone written a HOWTO for this unit yet ? Or should it all just be a case of plug and play ?

Specifically thinking about how to get HDMI audio working ?!

Cheers
In theory it should just work, it is just an ion based box. Sure it will have its own specifics like the rest of them.

Give it ago.
Yeah, went ahead and bought one, will post back if I have any problems, with a quick HowTo.

Look like gorgeous little machines.
So any results yet?
Thinking of buying one.
Should know by tomorrow, currently waiting for it to be delivered.
Just to let everyone know, this machine is an absolute beauty.

Set up XBMC on a 9.10 based system, and plays like a dream, no issues with 1080p, audio out of HDMI works perfectly.

If you have any questions, ask away, still playing around with the system.
@3guk : Thanks for letting us know. I ordered one 2 days ago and should get it on Monday. Can't wait to try it. Did you find any issues or problems with it yet or is it still flawless ?
I received my Zotac Mag today and installed ubuntu 9.10 and XBMC on it using the XBMC Setup Script I found in another thread here. Seems to be 100% working. CPU is 5-10% when playing 720p mkv. Great little computer, I like it.
Received Zotac Mag as well, and pondering whether should install Debian or Ubunto; main usage will be as a light net-server, and secondary as XBMC media center.

Seems Ubunto (Server) would be the most logical choice, having more out-of-box support for media stuff. Personally would have preferred Debian due slower / more stable release cycles..

Anyway, some more or less obvious notifications of the unit so far:

* Included memory modules are 2x 1GB 200-Pin SO-DIMM :
ProMOS 1GB 2Rx8 DDR2-800MHz-CL6 PC2-6400S-666-12-E1 V916765G24QCFW-G6
-> Can be easily upgraded to 4GB (2x2GB) or 8GB (2x4GB), just make sure to order 200 pin SO-DIMM modules (unlike my first attempt)

* Included HDD is Samsung HM160HI 2.5" (160GB/5400rpm/8M)
Googling seems to give read speeds arounds 60/25/0.4 (MB/s for Seq/512k/4k), i.e. half of modern desktop HDD performance
-> Can be 'easily' replaced with 2.5" SSDs like Intel X-25M

* Opening box to access HDD takes somel effort
A sticker claims opening the box voids the manufacturer warranty, so depending on your local laws this might have some harmful side-effect.
- Unscrew 2 normal screws
- Take out bottom cover with help of two flat screwdrivers (releasing plastic holders one by one)
- Unscrew 4 screws from the motherboard
- Carefully take out the top cover with flat screwdrivers, making sure not to move the cover too much since it has led wires attached
- Unscrew the HDD (2 screws), replace HDD, and reverse the above steps

-Lasse
waiting for an USB keyboard to advance to 'install Ubunto from USB' step..
i just ordered 4 of these box to setup htpc's in all the tv's in the house .. can't wait for them to be delivered today/tomorrow Smile
I just stumbled upon these a week ago and I'm waiting for good reviews before I take the plunge. I think it should be priced slightly lower, but it looks like a nice little machine. Please keep us updated with your experiences with tips and tricks also!
i don't understand why people think that this box should be cheaper (yes i know, cheaper is better .. but i think its still a great deal)

i've been debating what kind of htpc box i'd like to build myself over the last month
i've priced out bunchs of different combo's from atom to c2d to athlon/phenom models

eventually i decided on atom/ion combo using a zotac mobo at which point the debated ranged over whether to get a cheaper (but bigger) case or the tiniest (but pricier) case i could find .. and once i poped memory and a hd (also debate cheapo HD or more pricey SSD) the config was always at least 300$

so then i found this box for $300 (or acutally $287 with my discount at tigerdirect) .. i hopped aboard the Zotac MAG train Smile

i think the best part of this box vs other atom/ion prebuilt machines is the fact it comes without an OS (or more correctly put, without a windows license which means $$$) and since i always planned on using linux this was perfect
i am just comparing this to the aspire revo 3610, no longer on newegg, that was selling for 330 and included windows 7.

i've been pricing things out also, and $300 for the zotac mag specs is a very good buy.

i'll probably pick one up when i get back from vacation, unless ion 2 releases...
Seems cheap.. cheaper than you can build one... Will probably pick one up for a secondary room shortly...

-Erik
Got my Zotac Mag ND-01 a few days ago... So far I am not so happy with it, because I hoped the sticker on the package which says "extremly silent" would be true - but my one is within minutes just the opposite: very loud.

So probably the other mag-owners here have some advices for me, how to get it that promised extremly silent ;-) I did not change any settings in the bios so far - but I did update it to the latest bios from the zotac homepage (but as far as I have seen, the latest bios was already installed before - so it did not change anything).

I am wondering: did you do any changes in the bios settings? Especially in the MCP SMU SmartFan Control section? My out of box settings for the smart fan are: 30 / 70 / 50 / 240. CPU temp (according to the info in the bios) is around 69° C / 70° C idle. This is just 15° C below the thermal specifications for the cpu, as I read here:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details...Spec=SLG9Y

What settings do you use?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ZOTAC Mag0