Humming noise when playing 5.1
Hi,

I have an issue with my Zotac ZBOX HD-ND22.

I have no problems to play Stereo-sound such as songs, but whenever I try to playback a movie with more then stereo, all I receive is a humming/buzzing loud sound.

My AV-Receiver (A Sony DAV-DZ340) does support Dolby Digital-, DTS- and Dolby Pro Logic.

Unchecking/Checking the codecs or changing the number of speakers in Settings -> System -> Audio did not help.

The issue is only kind of 'solved' when I force a movie/video to be played back in Stereo.

I tried many XBMCbuntu builds and 2 OpenElec-Builds (stable and nightly) but the issue is always the same.

What can I do:confused2:

I got those new speakers and am not able to use them properly now, so please help Sad

Thank you in advance!

Edit:\ My setup:

Zotac ZBOX HD-ND22 connected to my TV via HDMI
and my TV is connected to my AV (DAV-DZ340) via HDMI too
Is your wiring HTPC>AVR>TV? That's the way to go. Do not wire HTPC>TV>AVR as most TV's do not pass multi-channel audio out.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Yes, right now I connected them HTPC>TV>AVR, because my AVR has only one HDMI in and one SPDIF in.

Anyway my PS3 (which is connected to my TV too) is able to play 5.1. Or is this unrelated to the way XBMC works?

Could it also help to buy 2 optical wires and connect it HTPC>TV>AVR, or is this still the same bottleneck?

Thanks DDDamian!
If you have a spare optical cable try connect it from HTPC to receiver and set your audio output in XBMC to optical, then enable DD/DTS passthrough.

You may have to alter your .conf file to utilize the optical audio out.

Ultimately your AVR is the bottleneck, but the above workaround should fix you up.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Humming noise when playing 5.10