Stop sound repeat when scrolling at end of lists
Given the new feature of stopping at the end of lists when scrolling, it'd be nice if the sound feedback also stopped when reaching the end of lists. Currently it may be somewhat annoying that the scrolling stops but the sounds keeps giving feedback of scrolling.

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8115
We cannot do that as we simply do not know whether the action will be performed or not.

We cannot wait for the action to be completed either as some actions take significant amounts of time (switching windows for instance).

The navigation sound is to let you know you pressed a button, not let you know that action has been succesfully taken.

To be honest it would feel unnatural to me not to have the button click sounds when I hit the end of the list.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:We cannot do that as we simply do not know whether the action will be performed or not.

We cannot wait for the action to be completed either as some actions take significant amounts of time (switching windows for instance).

The navigation sound is to let you know you pressed a button, not let you know that action has been succesfully taken.

To be honest it would feel unnatural to me not to have the button click sounds when I hit the end of the list.

Cheers,
Jonathan

It's a bummer that it can't be done... I wonder though, why would it feel unnatural that sound repeat feedback stopped? I've noticed in interfaces such as Tivo, Apple TV and Windows Media Center that sound feedback doesn't repeat when reaching the end of a list. And in Tivo and Apple TV a single "bump" sound is given at the end of a list which is different from regular scroll sound. This is helpful to the user since it gives a non-visual cue that you've reached the end.

Given that the most popular interfaces have such design, users would be more familiar with it and it would seem more natural. I would also argue that it makes more sense semantically: movement = sound, no movement = no sound.

Again, it's a bummer that it can't be done, but I'm hoping it would be a desirable feature perhaps for a distant future.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stop sound repeat when scrolling at end of lists0