Discussion about a childrens skin - lets make a XBMC skin designed for children?
Lightbulb 
As a huge fan I have XBMC in every room in my house that has a tV, including my young children's rooms. XBMC is the primary way they watch tv. My kids are only 3 and 4 and the slick skins such as mediaStream and Confluence, etc are not built for children. So I was thinking about developing a skin for children, bright in colors and some advanced, and un-nessasary functions (weather, settings) hidden.

Is anyone interested? I do not have a huge programing background, but have some scripting knowledge and a long Graphic Design and Web development background.

Anyone interested in jumping in on this?
that would be awesome. I can imagine something very web 2.0 in style and clouds haha.

I dont know ANYTHING about skinning but I would be glad to help in any way I can. Im quick to learn
I would love this as well. I'm looking to replace my xbox with a revo and will be moving the xbox to the kids playroom. I would love to have it setup so my 4 yearold can learn to change movies. A very simple skin would be awesome. I don't know anything about writing a skin but I'll help test it.
This would be very cool and perfect for a kids bedroom - just give them access to an appropriate share and no worries that they have found something inappropriate being broadcast or in the parent's library....

Good idea - I can't help but I would love to see something really simple and bright for kids!
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
+1

I will also love a skin for kids. Right now I am using a different profile for mine with different database (as we share the same htpc in the living room) and the Alaska skin (very simple and functional) with all menus removed except movies and series...
Actually, you can use the options in Alaska to make it a very straightforward skin for even young children. Using Style 3 for the home menu and one of the simpler views for movies and videos can present a very straightforward interface for them. They can get to all of their content using just up, down, OK and back on the remote.

Take a look at the color thread under Alaska for color ideas. I use the Mosaic_Blue2 theme and the Mosaic_Blue color set with very good response.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way affiliated with the Alaska skin or the Aeon coders. I don't use Alaska for my own profile.
I would love a simple skin as my 5 year old boy will the main user of xbmc.
So what are some ideas for a childrens skin?
Heres some I came up with so far.
*I believe there is no reason for settings, programs, or scripts on the main page. Dont need weather or pictures either. (Possibly only 'Videos' and 'Music' to choose from?)
*Maybe only one view, like 'Thumbnails' for navigating a library? (I think the thumbnail view would be easiest for children.)
*Make the home screen with easy to identify icons for the various choices.
*Bright, colorful backgrounds of course.
*Any settings should be locked or not easily accessible.

These are just a few off the top of my head.
What else?
dtviewer Wrote:So what are some ideas for a childrens skin?
Heres some I came up with so far.
*Maybe only one view, like 'Thumbnails' for navigating a library? (I think the thumbnail view would be easiest for children.)

I think that simplifying navigation is main problem, rest can be accomplished using profiles, if I'm not mistaken.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

The YAS might work.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=57227
Or a skin for teenagers.... with less grease and no more acne.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Discussion about a childrens skin - lets make a XBMC skin designed for children?0