[LIVE] Wireless file transfers Asrock ION 330HT
hey guys, this has been driving me nuts for weeks. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't transfer my video files onto my Asrock XBMC box using wireless. It starts to transfer and then just freezes up. The most it ever gets is about 5%. I can transfer small files, like the the fanart.jpg, but not the videos. It works fine over the Ethernet cable. so it's got to be something with the wireless. when I used FTP copying from my computer to my XBMC it just stops and I loose wireless on XBMC untill I reboot. same with SBM but it also freezes.

The only things that I changed after installing XBMC Live to hard drive was this.

sudo nano -w /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid narnia
wireless-key 521edcaec5
wireless-channel 11
wireless-mode managed

sudo chown -R xbmc /HTPC

XBMC live 9.11 Beta1 rUnknown (Compiled: Nov 23 2009)
i686
Asrock ION 330HT

Log file
http://pastebin.com/m248eb2ee
Do the following:

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic
sudo apt-get install wireless-tools
sudo apt-get install wicd
sudo reboot

That should fix your problem.

If your still having problems then try disabling ipv6:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Add this:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="ipv6.disable=1"

Then run:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Then reboot.

Still no joy, then also try disabling the ethernet interface.

Comment out the eth0 section in /etc/network/interfaces file. Reboot.

Hope that helps.
Hey Guys

I have a similar problem. I set up my wireless connection on my Asrock 330 HT, running xbmc Live. The association with my wireless router works fine, and when i boot into XBMC, i get an ip address, and i'm able to ping other devices in my LAN and addresses on the internet.

My router is set up for wireless N (tried setting it fixed to wireless G, same problem) at the moment.

The problem i am having is that whenever i try to stream media from my Storage PC (trough smb) my wireless network connection drops. The movie doesn't even start. When i try starting with a ping to the wireless ip of the asrock running, i see it immediatly stops responding when i try to start the movie.

if i do /etc/init.d/networking restart, everything works fine again, untill i try to start a movie again.

The connection also drops when i try to update my library.

Wired, there are no problems.

I tried all the things suggested in the above post, but still no luck; the problem remains.
I did get an error on the wicd part tho (the packet was not found)

Does anyone have an idea where this could be going wrong?
I have exactly the same problem as described in #3 by Orisha.
Also, going through the directory structure on my NAS (nfs-share) goes fine until I try to copy a file from my NAS to the local harddrive in which case the connection drops.
"sudo apt-get upgrade" on the other hand works fine (as long as the connection hasn't been dropped)
Is there anyone out there with a solution? Or, Orisha, if you have managed to solve the problem, maybe you can post your solution here!

Tia
Hi,

I had this issue, copying over wireless would start but after a few seconds the connection would drop, I did a lot of tinkering but the below update was what fixed it for me in the end. It contains an updated driver needed for wireless. Unfortunetly doesn't seem to have worked for Orisha. Obviously this is if you are running karmic.

Still haven't got this working.

Tried the solution suggested above again, and this is the output i got:

tom@XBMCLive:~$ sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for tom:
Get:1 http://security.ubuntu.com karmic-security Release.gpg [189B]
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com karmic-security/main Translation-en_US
Get:2 http://security.ubuntu.com karmic-security Release [44.1kB]
Get:3 http://security.ubuntu.com karmic-security/main Packages [46.4kB]
Fetched 90.7kB in 0s (207kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
tom@XBMCLive:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
linux-backports-modules-karmic is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
user-setup cryptsetup wget busybox
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 14 not upgraded.
tom@XBMCLive:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic

Seems he can't find that second package...
Any ideas why?
Orisha:
if it didn't find some package try first:
>sudo apt-get update

Then retry the updating all packages.

It worked for me...

Best Luck,

Jur.
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting use -> Log file.

After I installed linux-backports-modules-karmic and linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic (no problems here) it looked very promissing at first. Now I am able to copy a 60MB file from my nas to my XBMC. Although the speed was only 3 MB/s (Wireless N network with speeds up to 13MB/s with WinXP), it should be enough to a watch movie (dvd).
After watching a movie for about 2 minutes however the wireless connection dropped again.
I also tried installing wicd and updating grub (see post #2) but that also didn't solve the problem and I still keep losing my wireless connection after watching a movie for a while.

Any more ideas that I may give a shot?
seems that ubuntu is still not playing nice with some of the wireless network cards. If you have a atheros card there just doesn't seem to be any way to get it fully working. In Karmic you get good speed but the conenction drops every now and then, in jaunty you get stability and bad speed. Atleast I havn't been able to find any solution to this and from the threads i've read on other forums, i'm not alone.
o_dog Wrote:seems that ubuntu is still not playing nice with some of the wireless network cards. If you have a atheros card there just doesn't seem to be any way to get it fully working. In Karmic you get good speed but the conenction drops every now and then, in jaunty you get stability and bad speed. Atleast I havn't been able to find any solution to this and from the threads i've read on other forums, i'm not alone.

To be sure if it is because of Ubuntu I would suggest to try any ubuntu live distribution. If transfers have problems there too, maybe you can try to find help in the ubuntu forums...
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting use -> Log file.

Thumbs Up 
Sorry to bump an old thread, but i just had to say thanks to stinkupuss.

I had everything set up just how i wanted it only to find that i couldnt copy anything onto it, installing those backports solved it instantly.
stinkupuss Wrote:Hi,

I had this issue, copying over wireless would start but after a few seconds the connection would drop, I did a lot of tinkering but the below update was what fixed it for me in the end. It contains an updated driver needed for wireless. Unfortunetly doesn't seem to have worked for Orisha. Obviously this is if you are running karmic.

Thank you a million times! These two lines made this stable for me just now!
You can always try the latest bleeding edge linux wireless drivers.

You will have to compile yourself but it will be the latest and greatest driver for your card.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Wireless file transfers Asrock ION 330HT0