Backdrop graphics - JPG vs BMP
I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere, but I did a quick search and didn't find an answer - couple that with the fact that I'm doing this on a BlackBerry, as my internet is suddenly missing...

I read the Wiki about backdrops, and it mentioned that they need to be in JPG, but I'm sure I read something about being able to use BMPs, and having them activate quicker than their compressed counterparts.

I guess my question is two-fold. One, can you use a BMP instead of a JPG, and two, is there any benefit to doing so? I run a P4-3.7GHz and it pauses ever so briefly when loading JPG graphics, and they are around 400K in size (saved at 85% quality). If I use a multiple-megabyte BMP, would this not cause more of a delay?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Best thing to do is try it and see I use .TBN for most of my pictures as that is the preferred file type for XBMC or so I believe.
Ram2000 Wrote:Best thing to do is try it and see I use .TBN for most of my pictures as that is the preferred file type for XBMC or so I believe.

'tbn' isn't a TYPE/FORMAT... it's just a naming convention adopted by XBMC...

a tbn can in fact be a bmp, png, jpg (and possibly a Gif, but not certain on that).
On my machine (3,2ghz c2d, 4gb ram) I had the feeling that bmp is slower because of the larger size. But the cpu doesn't have to decompress the image if it's bmp so it might be faster with slower cpu's. I would say just try it and see if it's faster or not. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Backdrop graphics - JPG vs BMP0