[UPDATE] New fonts
toneman77 Wrote:Why not go the way of some real free fonts

From my experience the creator of Kaffeesatz and probably other 'free' font creators too request that you ask their permission before using their fonts, kind of a pain I know but just to make you aware of this.

As you can see a lot of them are very similar typographically to the Helvetica family too, Maybe a thicker one like Moderna might suit alaska.

There's more here:

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/11/...ree-fonts/

And this site is fantastic:

http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/
little out of topic ..but PL charset is now fixed :>
thx!
Must have been a pain, but so far they look good and havent noticed any issues
Hi Hitcher,

Love the new set of fonts you added tonight. Much easier to read than the last set. The only issue I have noticed so far is that an aspect ratio of "2.20" will scroll in the flags at the bottom. See the screenshot below.

Thanks for all the hard work, as mcborzu stated, it must have been a pain to change them all.
Don't know if this is just me, but I just updated to get the new fonts, and I noticed this in the TV shows section:

The genre info overlaps the # of episodes there are in the library. Is this a bug or something I can fix myself?

Not feeling the new fonts at all. Please revert to the old ones. It really makes Alaska feel like it should be.
I like this new new set of fonts even better. thanks Hitcher. Haven't tested what it looks like in -25 and bellow yet to see if there's still overlap.
Was there a threat involved with the fonts or was this more of a before the shit hits the fan thing?
My suggestion is make the old fonts optional or a separate download like aeon did. The new fonts just don't look that good.
Take the Paused overlay for example. It looks terrible. This is a major step back.

That said the new fonts today look a tiny bit better but still nothing like they should.
Oops. I also get some overlap between movie titles and genres when movie titles get to 3 lines in the movies library in poster view. For example: "Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters." Don't get me wrong though, I may be in the minority but i like the new new font.
turbinez Wrote:Not feeling the new fonts at all. Please revert to the old ones. It really makes Alaska feel like it should be.

Did you read the thread? If so you would have learned that the original fonts used by Alaska had copyright issues...
Disclaimer -- Hitcher, as I've said before ... You're doing great work. Think of the following as being a "design review" with one of your clients (which means you can ignore everything I say).

Count me in with not being to crazy with the new fonts. It's not the style, but the fact that the new fonts are exposing some of the design inconsistencies that have made their way into the skin. For instance, it appears that there are now two bold face, label fonts in use with no real rule as to why one is used over the other (stick with one?).

Also, due to hinting differences between the old a new set, sizing variance can be glaringly evident now. A good example would be the font size of the plot description in Movie Fanart View compared to the font size used in the plot description within the Information overlay. I would think that they should be the same size (in theory), but the info overlay is just slightly larger. The hinting also kicks in here make the weight of the font in the Information View appear much thicker.

I know that this sounds nit-picky, and should definitely be down on your priorities list, but attention to detail on issues like this can make or break the execution of a great base design. Have a style guide, and stick to it.
I'm still using the old font pack, because I wasn't happy with the new fonts. What if someone found license free fonts that better resemble the old fonts?
oo_void Wrote:Disclaimer -- Hitcher, as I've said before ... You're doing great work. Think of the following as being a "design review" with one of your clients (which means you can ignore everything I say).

Count me in with not being to crazy with the new fonts. It's not the style, but the fact that the new fonts are exposing some of the design inconsistencies that have made their way into the skin. For instance, it appears that there are now two bold face, label fonts in use with no real rule as to why one is used over the other (stick with one?).

Also, due to hinting differences between the old a new set, sizing variance can be glaringly evident now. A good example would be the font size of the plot description in Movie Fanart View compared to the font size used in the plot description within the Information overlay. I would think that they should be the same size (in theory), but the info overlay is just slightly larger. The hinting also kicks in here make the weight of the font in the Information View appear much thicker.

I know that this sounds nit-picky, and should definitely be down on your priorities list, but attention to detail on issues like this can make or break the execution of a great base design. Have a style guide, and stick to it.
That's why I asked for help in highlighting any problems so I could fix them.
DR. Stranger Wrote:I'm still using the old font pack, because I wasn't happy with the new fonts. What if someone found license free fonts that better resemble the old fonts?
I wouldn't recommend updating the skin from now on then either because I'm changing the size and positioning of the text as well to fit everything.

If anyone can find any better fonts than what I've used then I'll happily use them but they've got to free to use and just as importantly they've got to support Unicode. Good luck.
Also, anyone is free to fork the skin.
Hitcher Wrote:If anyone can find any better fonts than what I've used then I'll happily use them but they've got to free to use and just as importantly they've got to support Unicode. Good luck.

I hope these help, The top link is perfect [league-gothic], completely free no licensing. but judging by the image below I don't think it completely supports Unicode, Unicode being essential for different languages

http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/f...gue-gothic

http://www.a2591.com/2009/10/type-for-you.html

http://www.dafont.com/liberation-sans.font

EDIT: Searching through these suggestions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_softwa..._typefaces

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[UPDATE] New fonts0