Feature Request - native resolution ( disable upscaling ) option

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ilovethakush Offline
I'm sorry but I really don't understand the point of this.

1. I see absolutely no difference in the upscaling. ZERO.

2. If you have such amazing high quality equipment, why are you watching videos in such low resolution?
find quote
Soli Offline
This is a waste of time . That's why nothing has happened in the 6 years that this thread has existed. Besides, for all intents and purposes it's not possible to have "native resolution" apart from 1080p and 720p, meaning that for other resolutions you are probably forced to 800x600 or 1024x768 limited by either the gpu or the display/tv itself.
For 720p you already can upscale with lanczos which is pretty much good enough for everyone.

Only exception is to show 1080p at it's native res when using a 4k display, but that feature is already coming in Jarvis afaik.
find quote
belegdol Offline
The main benefit would be for watching 1080i material i believe
find quote
FernetMenta Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
(2015-09-22 10:54)looun Wrote:  quote +1 ,
like auto-switch fps, i think a nice Feature for kodi can be "Adjusted display Output to match video Resolutions " , person like me have top level AV receiver or TV with high quality video processor for upscaling or enhancement

A consumer electronics device for less than 1000€ like given in your signature that is 4 years old does not do a better job than cheap up-to-date computer graphics.
find quote
Frozone Offline
As I just ordered a 4K TV I would like to have this feature as well, to let the TV handle all the upscaling.
find quote
onlinespending Offline
(2015-10-20 13:26)Frozone Wrote:  As I just ordered a 4K TV I would like to have this feature as well, to let the TV handle all the upscaling.

This is an especially valuable feature now that so many use Kodi on low power devices such as Raspberry Pi's and Android set-top boxes, where the only upscale algorithm offered is Bilinear. The upscaler in either an audio receiver or TV is often far superior. I think as a compromise at least the common standard resolutions should be optionally allowed to be passed through natively.
find quote
Onbekend Offline

I totally agree that this feature should be implemented. Honestly, I don't quite understand why many developers deem this feature unnecessary. Especially with modern 4K TV's, such as SONY's 2013 - 2015 4K TV's, the use of an external scaler makes a lot of sense, since these TV's have excellent processors (e.g. X1 processor with Reality Creation, etc.).

Basically, there should be a general setting for the GUI which includes resolution, bit depth and even chroma sub-sampling (this feature is now available),
then when starting playback of a video file, the used video setting should be changed according to the file played. The Video setting selected should reflect video resolution, bit depth, chroma subsampling and frames per second.
Moreoever, advanced settings should allow the user to choose which resolutions should be upscaled by Kodi, and which ones should be passed on to the external scaler.

This would be really cool!
find quote