• 14(current)
Req native resolution ( disable upscaling ) option
Let me add myself to the list.

I've got a DVD of analog PAL-sourced video. It is the highest-quality version of this particular footage that commonly exists (aside from a PAL laserdisc, but I digress). It is PAL because the cameras used to shoot it over 20 years ago were PAL.

I want to be able to play it in its native format, which will allow my external scaler to deal with the PAL weirdness in ways that a computer-oriented scaler (aka, Kodi + modern graphics hardware) is simply unaware of.

I mean, I could wait for a Blu-Ray release, but I can do the same processing that such a release would entail at home right now...unless it involves Kodi.
Add me to the list. My Panasonic 4K TV does a substantially better job at upscaling ny UK tv. The 1080i channels are almost undistinguishable from a native 4K picture. Even the SD channels look reasonable. That's however not the case when letting Kodi do the upscaling, even using SPMC with the additional scaling options.
I desperately need this feature as well....
+1 for this feature.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

+1 for this.

This would be useful for those of us running Kodi on devices without a lot of CPU power. As you get to higher resolutions and frame rates, upscaling takes more and more processing power, and hardware that Kodi is running on loses the ability to keep up.

When I watch TV 1080i [email protected] my playback is perfect. Not a single frame skipped. When I try to watch 720p TV [email protected] my system just can't keep up with the upscaling and half of my frames get skipped. If I manually force my GUI to [email protected], the 720p content works fine. But a user can't be expected to 1) always know what every TV channel's resolution is and 2) Go manually change the resolution in the settings every time they want to watch a different TV channel.

Why force a user to use on-box CPU cycles for upscaling on a CPU-limited device, when I have an external piece of hardware (TV) that's willing and able to do the upscaling for me transparently? There was some debate about quality of a TV's upscaler vs. Kodi's upscalers, and how the Kodi upscaler is better. Even if that were the case, the best upscaler in the world can't make half of your frames being skipped look good. All the frames making it to a TV, and letting the TV do the upscaling, no matter how it does it, is better than losing half your frames.

I think this particular use case is pretty standard. Going back through this thread, and everything on Github, it seems like some are making the perfect the enemy of the good. Trying to deal will all sorts of nonstandard resolutions, etc. How about just start with straightforward standards like [email protected] and [email protected], etc. that would have the most immediate benefit right away?

My piece of junk cable box can do this. My TiVo can do this. Kodi is way more advanced than both of these devices. It should be able to do this.
Me too!...

And with all due respect, a SONY X1 Extreme Processor does a much better job at upscaling than the KODI Upscaling.

Are there any plans for KODI to support this?
I have gotten the impression so far, that KODI developers don't *want* to implement this... (please correct me if I am wrong.)

It would also be important to support dynamic switching to 10-bit and HDR content.

Thank you in advance!
Just read the whole thread. There was no „correct“ way found to do this right.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphis,

With all due respect... I have read the entire thread. And all the code submissions.

Again, with all due respect... from what I've read the reason no "correct" way was found is because some people with a bias against this feature ( external upscalers suck ) came up with a whole bunch of hypothetical edge cases to intentionally overcomplicate and sabotage this feature.

What I've been seeing is pretty much along the lines of "What do we do if a video is 123x214? Too complicated. Forget it. Our software scalers are better than an external scaler anyway."

Looking at just the standard vast majority of use cases that people are asking for, and ignoring all the weird edge cases, the "correct" way to do this is pretty straightforward:

If width == 1280 and height <= 720 and fps >= 59 and fps <= 60 and [ 1280x720x59.94 mode exists ] then switch to 1280x720x59.94
ElseIf width == 1280 and height <= 720 and fps >= 49 and fps <= 51 and [ 1280x720x50 mode exists ] then switch to 1280x720x50
ElseIf width == 640 and height <= 480 and fps >= 59.0 and fps <= 60 and [ 640x480x59.94 mode exists ] then switch to 640x480x59.94

The above will handle the majoiity of use cases this feature is needed for.

For all other weird resolutions or frame rates, do nothing. For those keep using the built in scaler.

Make it an option for those who hate external scalers. Or make it configurable via advancedsettings.
With all due respect, I agree with triminmotion completely. I also have the feeling that it's all about a bias against external scalers.

One could expand triminmotion's suggestion by incorporating bitdepth, etc.

Greetings.
+1    My LG 4k TV does upscaling so much better than Kodi, since i got the new TV, i use DLNA Streaming instead of Kodi since the Picture Quality is so much better.
Please implement an option to disable upscaling, thank you
+1. Please implement an option to disable upscaling. Perhaps only madvr can compete with nowadays 4K TV's upscaling processors.
+1. I'm also very interested in this option.
try v18, it's implemented as resolution whitelist.
(2018-09-17, 15:31)wsnipex Wrote: try v18, it's implemented as resolution whitelist.
Is documentation available for this? I've searched in the wiki but couldn't find anything.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2018-10-10, 11:40)ashlar Wrote:
(2018-09-17, 15:31)wsnipex Wrote: try v18, it's implemented as resolution whitelist.
Is documentation available for this? I've searched in the wiki but couldn't find anything. 
Anyone?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
native resolution ( disable upscaling ) option9