HTPC (ion-330ht) boots by itself
I havent had time to test it any further. I can tell that after disabling Onboard CIR Power On in the BIOS the system has not booted itself anymore. So something is triggering the boot through the CIR.

I did notice a spark when I plugged in the power plug. If the ungrounded case has anything to do with the system booting itself, I really dont know.

I do not own a plasma TV but I have a LCD TV (Sony 37W5500) but I just read that LCD also emits IR. Other stuff I own and which is being used or standing near the ION-330:
- Harmony One universal remote
- Wii (currently standing next to the ION-330)
- Humax i5050c digital TV tuner
- A/V receiver

My first try is to move the system out my A/V cabinet and place it at some distance from all the rest and the enable Onboard CIR Power On in the BIOS again. See what happens.
Ok, I'm pretty sure now that it has to do with Plasma and LCD TV's emitting IR noise. There is actually quite a lot of info on the internet about this issue. Check this for instance:

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/arch...68254.html

So it seems the best solution would be to shield the IR receiver of the ION-330 with tape or plastic bags for instance to filter out the noise but still allow the IR signals for controlling the system (since the Linux driver has become available today as well).
Glitch Wrote:http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/arch...68254.html

They are talking about masking tape in that threat. Thats cool espacially if you read the article about SONYs patent here:

http://tinyurl.com/yl7a9zg

"A recent patent filing from Sony will be welcomed by puzzled people whose remote-controlled audio and video players mysteriously go haywire when their plasma TV screen is switched on."

So maybe in future we will see manufactures of masking tapes sued for breaking SONYs patent LOL Wink
I had this problem when I first got my 330HT however it stopped once I disabled Wake on Lan. Most likely caused by noise on the Ethernet cable since it travelled up behind the TV.

One thing, the odds of a TV generating a 36KHz Modulated ir signal with the correct RC6 ir code to tell the receiver to turn on is all most impossible.

More likely they have not used adequate decoupling capacitors and inadequate ground planes for the ir receiver chip. Therefore noise either from connections to the TV or EMF is causing the device to power on.

A TV will generate more noise and EMF when turned on however even when powered of the PSU will generate some noise and EMF.
Abnormal1 Wrote:I had this problem when I first got my 330HT however it stopped once I disabled Wake on Lan. Most likely caused by noise on the Ethernet cable since it travelled up behind the TV
This is not possible for my setup, because the box turned on even with abolutly nothing attached to it except the power of curse.

Abnormal1 Wrote:One thing, the odds of a TV generating a 36KHz Modulated ir signal with the correct RC6 ir code to tell the receiver to turn on is all most impossible.

According to this thread: http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/.../t-768254.html
it seems to happen more often

Which causes Sony to make a special patent: http://tinyurl.com/yl7a9zg

Abnormal1 Wrote:More likely they have not used adequate decoupling capacitors and inadequate ground planes for the ir receiver chip. Therefore noise either from connections to the TV or EMF is causing the device to power on.

A TV will generate more noise and EMF when turned on however even when powered of the PSU will generate some noise and EMF.

Could be possible, but i don't think so, because when my TV shows a mostly black screen with only a small "no signal" label, the box stays off. When switching to any channel the box turns on every 1-2 minutes.
Also covering the holes for the IR receiver eliminates the problem. EMF interferences should be able to bypass that sheet of paper.
So the best conclusion at the moment is IR interference produced by the TV.
XBMC_Lover Wrote:Also covering the holes for the IR receiver eliminates the problem. EMF interferences should be able to bypass that sheet of paper.
So the best conclusion at the moment is IR interference produced by the TV.
I have been fixing the driver for the IR receiver this evening so I didnt get the change to test shielding the IR receiver but come to think of it. I would not even know where it's at. I dont see any IR eye or something in the front of the box. Am I overlooking something?
Look at the left side on the front are some holes. The holes look like air vents. You can look through the holes and you will see the IR diode.
Not entirly unrelated.

I once moded an old xbox with a XIR to make it possible to turn on/off with a remote (worked like a charm). Then I moved to a new apartment, and a simular behavior like you describe emerged. I later installed a switch for the entire TV-setup. (TV, hifi, Wii, HTPC), and everytime I switched it ON, the xbox started. The electricity is not grounded.

My theory was that the electricity spikes, causing the XIR to start the system. But having no real use of the xbox I "solved" the problem by unhooking it Big Grin
Well I bought one of these as a present just set it up today and have the same issue first thing I did was make sure all USB devices were disconnected and wake up from LAN was off and I left it in a empty room with no remote action of any kind and it still come on Rolleyes

Obviously not os related in any case I'm using XP

I'm going to try with LAN disconnected just in case its bios related and wake up on LAN says off but is still on
You may want update your bios to 1.10 and see if that helps.
This being stray IR signals seems very very likely. I find my plasma emits LOTS of this noise, visible by the fact that both my IR-pyramid and my MCE IR-receiver blinks, or is lit all the time. Actually, I also have a CFL in the ceiling, and this also seems to emit IR noise! Luckily I do not (can not) use wake-by-usb with my current hardware, and the noise seems to not have any detrimental effect yet.
Now that I have installed the Linux drivers for the internal IR receiver and have moved the box a little away from the TV the issue hardly ever occurs.

I dont use the suspend mode from XBMC Live but use my remote to boot from power down and that is working fine now.
I recently bought an Asrock 330 incl remote. I see the following:

1. Seemingly random boot of the computer, with nothing but power cable attached, no remotes being pressed, nearby Samsung LCD TV turned off. This also happens during the night, which I find is even more puzzling. I have installed nothing onto the machine, so OS-dependence seems impossible.

2. Sometimes sparks when plugging the power cable into the back of the computer.

Update: After disabling the onboard CIR power on in the bios, my system no longer starts by itself.
Hey Guys,

I see alot of common related only with power cord connected and sparks when plugging in the power connector.

If you plug the wall plug in first you are going to charge the caps in the wall wart which will emit some static discharge when you make the connection to the pc. you know like when you scrub your feet on the carpet and then touch your cat you see sparks - that is 10K Volt spark but no current.

Do you have your TV and PC plugged into the same power outlet (or same circuit) I have all my stuff in that room plugged into an apc backup 900. so it getting interference filtered as well as my lan and satellite feed mainly to filter the dirty power in Ottawa but also for emi supression. It is certainly not as good as a choke but it does the job. I have no interference at the pc and I have directly under my 52" sharp mounted on the wall. One more point I also wired that circuit with 20 amp suppression style breaker (not that that does anything to help BUT hey! I helped siemens make more money last year - LOL)

power related issues are always a PIA.Wink

Regards,

Dave
Hi, i also have problem with auto boot on my asrock.
Did someone report this problem to Asrock, can this be fixed?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC (ion-330ht) boots by itself0